Located 30 minutes outside of Boston, Desktop Metal (NYSE: DM) is pioneering a new generation of additive manufacturing technologies focused on the production of end-use parts. We offer a portfolio of integrated additive manufacturing solutions for engineers, designers and manufacturers comprised of hardware, software, materials and services. Our solutions span use cases across the product life cycle, from product development to mass production and aftermarket operations, and they address an array of industries, including automotive, aerospace, healthcare, consumer products, heavy industry, machine design and research and development. At Desktop Metal, we believe additive manufacturing, commonly referred to as 3D printing, is one of the most exciting and transformational technology innovations of our time.
Desktop Metal is seeking a talented and self-motivated Senior Process Engineer to join the Process and Materials Development Engineering team. The ideal candidate will have experience developing and maturing novel technology from R&D conceptualization to production.
The Senior Process Engineer will be responsible for:
- Understanding all process variables related to the 3D printing of metal parts.
- Developing new metrology and process capabilities required to support next generation products.
- Develop automated testing capabilities to characterize complex processes and qualify product robustness.
- Understanding the relationship between printing and downstream part processing.
- Defining requirements for process parameters in complex printing machines.
- Informing, guiding and prioritizing Software and Firwmare efforts to enhance process capabilities.
- Consulting with material scientists to characterize parts.
- Tackling complex and open-ended problems across multiple engineering disciplines.
- Working with an interdisciplinary team to define, write, and execute designs of experiments.
- Maintaining a high level of communications with a cross-functional team, and partners.
- Engaging testing facilities, subcontractors, and other subject matter experts to drive the design of printing systems.
- Informing engineering teams of process-critical design elements.
- Developing program plans, process flow maps and tolerance analysis.
- BS/ MS in mechanical engineering, chemical engineering, or equivalent.
- Thorough understanding of electro-mechanical system architectures.
- 5-10 years product and process development experience and demonstrated success, in developing and maturing manufacturing processes from R&D into production
- 5-10 years experience with scientific computing & data analysis techniques.
- Demonstrated ability to develop a deep understanding of end-user needs quickly, and proficiently translate those needs into the right technology solution.
- Ability to resolve complex issues in creative, efficient, and effective ways.
- Broad knowledge of measurement approaches using electrical, mechanical and optical principles.
- Experience driving design decisions based on research and testing.
- Works well in a highly collaborative team structure.
- Able to provide the customer and company-wide perspective to detailed technical decisions.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Additive manufacturing
- Mastery of one of the following languages Python, Matlab
- Process control methods
- Statistical Analysis and Design of Experiments
- High-temperature processes
- Powder-based processes (including familiarity with powder metallurgy)
- Computer Aided Design (SolidWorks)
- Revision control (GitHub)
At Desktop Metal, innovation is at the core of our DNA. And we believe ground-breaking discoveries are born from diverse teams with unique backgrounds and experiences. We are committed to employing a diverse workforce with equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability.