Sea Machines is a fast-growing startup specializing in autonomous technology for marine vessels. We’re passionate about applying practical A.I. to the massive global ocean transportation market. Our products provide ships and workboats the intelligence to work remotely and give maritime operators the tools to effectively communicate with them. Based in Boston and operating globally, the company is crewed by an experienced team of mariners, engineers, coders, and autonomy scientists. Our culture is dynamic, collaborative and biased towards execution.
Sea Machines is venture-funded, and we’ve introduced our first product, the Sea Machines 300. We’re located on the East Boston waterfront in historic Jeffries Point, with quick access to the T and water taxis.
We are seeking a Perception Engineer with deep learning and computer vision experience to actively push the next stage of perception R&D at Sea Machines which tackles the exciting challenges of moving the world’s fleets to the era of autonomous operations. This role will focus on developing state-of-art algorithms deployed on marine vessels to perform real time performance in conjunction with the existing perception team. A focus will be on object recognition, distance estimation, semantic segmentation, and sensor fusion from large scale data sets with multi-sensor data (AIS, Radar, LiDAR, visible cameras, thermal cameras, etc.).
- Design, development and integration of high-quality perception technology related to machine learning, deep learning, computer vision and image processing
- Develop state of art technology related to object classification, object recognition, distance estimation and semantic segmentation on SMR vessels
- Perform machine learning and use image processing technology to analyze, cluster, clean real-world data as the preparation for further development
- Explore and select state-of-art deep learning, machine learning framework to conduct training on real-world data
- Deploy high quality algorithms/code/models on SMR vessels and customer vessels for better performance
- Analyze real world data and perform performance evaluation of delivered technology
- Maintain software documentation and assist in the development of user documentation
- Participate as a multi-disciplinary engineering team member including team meetings, stand-ups & quality reviews in a mostly remote environment.
- Work cross-functionally with technical teams deploying high quality perception system to support prototyping and product development.
Requirements and Skills
- Must be a U.S. citizen or Permanent resident
- MS or PhD in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or related fields, with a publication record on relevant topics.
- Professional experience in deep learning-based computer vision topics, related to detection, classification, tracking, recognition, segmentation, sensor fusion.
- Hands-on experience with developing, training, benchmarking and deploying deep learning models in real world data.
- Professional experience in deploying deep learning models on real-world data in TensorFlow, Keras, or PyTorch
- Professional experience with Git, Python, Scikit-learn, Linux, Jupyter Notebook, Cloud Computing/Storage
- Excellent analytical and program solving skills, excellent written and oral communication, self-starter and highly motivated.
- Experience with large scale data collection, data cleaning, data analysis and regression test
- Experience collaborating with other functional teams to seamlessly integrate software and hardware
- Professional C++ programing and software design skills including debugging, performance analysis and test design.
- Proficiency on GPU computing and parallel programing
- Familiar with Spark ML
- Publication record in top-tier computer vision or machine learning conferences
- Professional experience deploying computer vision or deep learning models on industrial-grade software
- Understanding and appreciation of hardened industrial systems