Senior Mechanical Engineer
Join a fast-growing company that is using the Internet of Things (IoT) to transform how organizations sense, monitor, and make decisions. Founded out of MIT in 2005, SmartSense is trusted by more than 3,000 organizations, including Walmart, SpaceX, Apple, CVS Health, Coca-Cola, and the US State Department to make sensor-driven decisions. Our customers rely on our solutions help them do what they do better; we need your help to help us do what we do better.
Disproportionately impact a customer-driven, fast growing division that is transforming the way companies monitor their critical environments and make decisions about safeguarding their key assets. Were building next-generation IoT products and infrastructure that helps companies measure their world, transmit their valuable metrics to a centralized location, alert when there is something to be concerned about and even predict key events before they happen.
Dive into an empowered mechanical engineering role developing products from concept to design to manufacture. You will design, implement, and deliver high quality mechanical designs which will result in hundreds-of-thousands of SmartSenses devices. You will be a key member of an Agile Engineering team producing a variety of products, and address a variety of environments. You will learn to work with numerous different sensor and wireless technologies, situated in a variety of environments and applications. Choose when to hack and when to invest. Youll apply judgment to where we can get the most benefit for our efforts, and youll help guide high-level architectural decisions.
SmartSense is an incredibly fast paced customer-driven company and youll be performing key role essential to our future success. Our close-knit, cross-functional team is a great chance to grow your knowledge across all layers of our system. Youll join a team where everyoneincluding youis knowledgeable about engineering patterns, with excellent teammates who can be opinionated about the product development process. We all pitch in to help wherever necessary when things are crazy. Youll be challenged to learn new skills and tools, and youll be encouraged to expand your professional comfort zone.
- Mechanical design, product development, new design validation, design for manufacture, quality oversight
- Design and analyze complex parts and assemblies in Solidworks, Fusion360, etc. Use FEA simulation to correct or improve designs
- Perform tolerance stack-ups to ensure mating parts will fit in all scenarios
- Complete DFM and FMEA studies to ease transition from manufacturing to design and reduce risk
- Display strong knowledge of manufacturing processes including: CNC, 3D printing, stamping, milling, turning and ultrasonic welding
- Demonstrate injection molding experience, with knowledge of using slides, lifters, over-molding and insert-molding. Snap fit design experience a plus. Familiar with typical injection molding issues and their causes.
- Lead environmental testing and formulation of test plans for products. Testing may include: shock test, submersion test, vibration test, thermal shock, ice formation, corrosion, accelerated weathering, compression set and chemical resistance
- Investigate, quantify and determine root causes of product and manufacturing issues.
- Contribute to ongoing quality program and improvements.
- BS, MEng, or MS (preferred) degree in Mechanical engineering or equivalent
- 5+ years of related experience
- ability to deliver results with little supervision
- big-picture vision and attention to small details
- natural curiosity
- experience in a fast paced environment where priorities change and multiple projects compete for your time
WITHIN 3 MONTHS, YOU'LL...
- Immediately start influencing designs and provide leadership in your domain
- Working with our contract manufacturers and industrial design consultants to shepard new products to volume production
- Regularly work closely with Electrical, Firmware, Manufacturing, Program Management and Hardware Engineers to learn the nuts and bolts of SmartSenses sensor platform (and your teammates).
- Participate in support engineering, testing and validation of new products.
WITHIN 6 MONTHS, YOU'LL...
- Develop mechanical designs for products and accessories
- Influence next generation hardware, firmware, and product strategies
- Be able to own the entire planning, scoping, design, and implementation of new mechanical design projects
- Participate in team-wide project estimation and scoping
WITHIN 12 MONTHS, YOU'LL...
- Contribute substantially to engineering team efficiency
- Train, mentor and influence your peers
SmartSense builds internet connected sensors and software that enable organizations to automatically monitor, track, and analyze sensor data for quality control, compliance, and operational efficiency. Our team is motivated to improve the world by providing real-time information that ensures medication and food safety. Our Vaccine Monitoring Initiative donates one system for each system we sell, so that a healthcare clinic in need can monitor life-saving vaccines. We endeavor to be both the best in the world at what we do, as well as, to be the best for the world because of how we do it; if youre the right candidate, we will reach that goal together and have a great time doing it!
SmartSense is proud to be an equal-opportunity workplace dedicated to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce.