Senior iOS Engineer - Emerging Technologies
Wayfairs founders, Steve Conine and Niraj Shah, kick-started their careers as engineers- turned-entrepreneurs, growing an e-commerce business over several years with an exceptional mission: Everyone should live in a home they love. Our Software Engineering organization drives this by finding real-world solutions to complex business challenges facing customers and stakeholders every day. Our global teams move fast, build to scale, and approach each opportunity with agility and creativity.
Shopping for the home is often overwhelming. Wayfair is an extreme case its visited by two million people daily, shopping across more than 10 million products: Home furnishings, dcor, home improvement, housewares, and more. Our software engineering teams work hard to conceal the complexity of this experience. Every customer should come away feeling like theyve found the perfect item for them. Shopping for the home should be exciting, and were the team that makes that happen.
What You'll Do?
- Writing high quality, performant Swift code in collaboration with 1-3 other iOS devs.
- Investigating and building solutions for core customer problems utilizing 3D, AR & more.
- Working with designers on refining our user experiences with an eye to Human Interface Guidelines and other Apple best practices.
- Collaborating actively with backend developers on features that span web/mobile web and the native app.
- Reviewing code and providing clear feedback to other developers on your team and adjacent groups
- Investigating and proposing new ideas for advancing our development practices.
- Participating in cross-team workgroups to improve our approaches to testing, UI components, GraphQL, or other areas.
- Mentoring and teaching junior developers entering as new hires or as part of our new entry-level bootcamp program: Wayfair Mobile Labs
- Acting as a tech lead and going deeper in improving the processes and productiveness of your team
- Collaborating with our mobile platform team to improve our build processes, automation, and CI/CD.
Who Are You?
- Fluency in Swift, and easy familiarity with Swift types, UIKit and layout tools.
- You are interested in emerging technologies and have started playing with ARCore.
- At least 2 years of professional mobile development experience on publically available apps supported by RESTful web services.
- A genuine belief that constructive and respectful code reviews are the bedrock of a healthy team.
- An eagerness to create experiences that will delight users.
- Experience working with different architectures (MVVM, MVC, VIPER, etc)
- Knowledge of GraphQL, SQL, and/or PHP
- Validating user hypotheses with prolific implementations of A/B testing
- Familiarity with building retail ecommerce apps
How will you be challenged?
This is a great opportunity to work with iOS at scale, contribute to an app used by millions worldwide, while being backed by an organization that is experiencing explosive growth. You will be joining small, agile team of developers who will be rapidly prototyping emerging technology solutions for huge customer problems, ultimately creating key features within our consumer apps. Your projects will include partnerships with Computer Vision, Room Planner and the Wayfair Next team which means you will be working with cutting edge technologies, and within innovative processes, to build on the foundation of our award-winning applications.
- We won a Webby for our genre-defining use of ARKit to help our customers find the best pieces to fit in their home.
- We worked with marketing, backend and design to build a dynamic, scalable promotions system for supporting dozens of flash sales, visited by millions of customers shopping on our Way Day promotional holiday.
- We have been adopting GraphQL to provide more freedom and flexibility in optimizing our interactions with our backend APIs.
- We have been deep into a process of re-architecting our apps into feature and infrastructure modules to help our team scale and reuse code within our growing ecosystem of native apps