Senior iOS Developer
Shopping for the home is often overwhelming. Wayfair is an extreme case its visited by two million people daily, shopping across more than 10 million products: Home furnishings, dcor, home improvement, housewares, and more. Our software engineering teams work hard to conceal the complexity of this experience. Every customer should come away feeling like theyve found the perfect item for them. Shopping for the home should be exciting, and were the team that makes that happen.
While we are one of the largest iOS dev groups in Boston, we are organized in loosely coupled teams where senior developers own the architecture of a feature like messaging, checkout, or visual search. This is a great opportunity to join a community of seasoned professionals rising to the challenge of building an app used by millions worldwide, backed by an organization experiencing explosive growth.
What Will You Do?
- Meeting with product managers and backend developers to architect features, and lead the work to be tackled by the team.
- Modeling clean, performant, and well-tested code for your team
- Working with designers on refining our user experiences with an eye to Human Interface Guidelines and other Apple best practices.
- Anticipating areas for improvement and investment, and highlighting these for inclusion in a teams project roadmap.
- Reviewing code and providing clear feedback to other developers on your team and adjacent groups.
- Championing and implementing new ideas to help us work better together.
- Participating in cross-team workgroups to improve our approaches to testing, UI components, GraphQL, or other areas.
- Mentoring and teaching junior developers entering as new hires or as part of our new entry-level bootcamp program: Wayfair Mobile Labs.
- Giving back to the tech community by presenting talks at conferences and tech meetups.
- Collaborating with our mobile platform team to improve our build processes, automation, and CI/CD.
- We won a Webby for our genre-defining use of ARKit to help our customers find the best pieces to fit in their home.
- We worked with marketing, backend and design to build a dynamic, scalable promotions system for supporting dozens of flash sales, visited by millions of customers shopping on our WayDay promotional holiday.
- We have been adopting GraphQL to provide more freedom and flexibility in optimizing our interactions with our backend APIs.
- We re-architected our apps into feature and infrastructure modules to help our team scale and reuse code within our growing ecosystem of native apps.
Who You Are:
- You have an Undergraduate or Masters Degree in Computer Science/Computer Engineering/Software Engineering or equivalent with at least 5+ years of professional development experience or at least 7+ years of full-time software development experience.
- Fluency in Swift, from a bachelors degree in Computer Science or equivalent industry working experience.
- 3+ years of professional mobile development experience on publically available apps supported by RESTful web services.
- 1+ years of leading teams in a senior capacity (tech lead, architect)
- Familiarity with mobile engineering challenges including performance and memory management concepts
- Have architected or designed complex features with product managers or other stakeholders
- A genuine belief that constructive and respectful code reviews are the bedrock of a healthy team and an eagerness to create experiences that will delight users.