Senior Infrastructure Engineer
TripAdvisor is looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join our team which is responsible for our private cloud platform. Our private cloud platform aims at
- accelerating time-to-market of our products,
- enabling rapid deployment and scaling of our applications,
- enabling our engineering teams to build applications easier and faster,
- but retaining the cost benefit and performance of on-premise data centers and bare-metal servers.
This role focuses on our compute, storage and network platforms and services. At the base of this platform, our primary compute platform today is on-premise Kubernetes clusters running on bare-metal servers. We offer this compute platform at scale in multiple datacenters around the world to our internal engineering teams. The compute platform is complemented by networking and storage services to allow full functions of the compute platform.
In this role you will
- help identify the pain points and inefficiencies in the use of our platform, and to expand its functions,
- collaborate with users to design solutions,
- build business cases to justify our investment and effort,
- design and implement the solutions, focusing not just on technical capability but also usability and supportability,
- Evolve the implemented solutions as the environment and usage changes
One example project we are working on is how we handle auto-scaling of deployments both vertically and horizontally. Kubernetes provided a well-understood mechanism for handling horizontal auto-scaling, and the community is working on a mechanism for vertical auto-scaling. However, for an engineering team who just wants to make sure their deployment scales correctly according to a set of metrics, both of these mechanisms are too low-level and require specific knowledge of the platform to use. Our opportunity here is to leverage our knowledge of both the goals of the users and what the platform would expect the users to do given the their usage and the metrics, and make those scaling decisions automatically on behalf of the user.
Qualifications and skills
- BS or MS in Computer Science or a related technical field
- 5+ years of full life cycle software development experience
- Strong understanding of data structures and algorithms
- Strong knowledge of UNIX and TCP/IP network fundamentals
- Strong knowledge in virtualization and containerization
- Expert in at least one programming language
- Strong understanding of large-scale Internet service architectures, such as load-balancing, DNS, CDN, http/https proxy
- Proven ability to pick up new technology and tools quickly
- Ability to take calculated risks in order to move fast, but have a plan for when things go wrong
- Experience with high-availability and large-scale production environment, and can leverage those experience in designing and building software systems
- Organized, good attention to detail, and able to work both independently and with a team
- Strong written and verbal communications in English
TripAdvisor, the world's largest travel site*, enables travelers to unleash the full potential of every trip. With over 630 million reviews and opinions covering the world's largest selection of travel listings worldwide covering approximately 7.5 million accommodations, airlines, experiences, and restaurants -- TripAdvisor provides travelers with the wisdom of the crowds to help them decide where to stay, how to fly, what to do and where to eat. TripAdvisor also compares prices from more than 200 hotel booking sites so travelers can find the lowest price on the hotel that's right for them. TripAdvisor-branded sites are available in 49 markets, and are home to the world's largest travel community of 455 million average monthly unique visitors**, all looking to get the most out of every trip. TripAdvisor: Know better. Book better. Go better.