Do you consider yourself an expert in Accounting and US GAAP? Are you experienced in preparing external reports for a publicly-listed company? Do you find changes in Accounting standards fascinating, and cant wait to read up all about them and implement them accordingly? Do you enjoy advising Company Executives on Accounting policies and business implications? Are you excited about joining a fast-growing PE-backed company to help create Accounting policies and instill more rigor in our financial reporting to bring it to public standards?
If the above sounds like you, wed love to hear from you!
The mission of SimpliSafe is to keep every home secure. It is our belief that being safe should be simple. SimpliSafe designs home security systems that are wireless, cellular and so user-friendly that they can be set up by anyone in minutes. In addition to our great products, SimpliSafe offers seamless 24/7 professional monitoring services, without the long-term contracts nor sky-high prices of traditional alarm companies. Simply put, were on an industry-disruptive mission to keep every home safe.
Founded in 2006, SimpliSafe is based in the heart of Boston, Massachusetts. In 2014, we were ranked in The Inc. 500 as one of the fastest growing private companies in the US with a 3,000%+ three-year growth rate. In July 2020, CNET named SimpliSafe the best do-it-yourself alarm system. Fast forward to today, we protect over 2 million Americans and that number is fast rising. SimpliSafe is ushering in a new era, one where anyone anywhere can have a security system that is not only simple but also on the cutting edge.
The Director of Technical Accounting and External Reporting will report to the Chief Financial Officer and fill a key role on the finance leadership team at SimpliSafe. You will own technical accounting topics such as revenue recognition, stock-based compensation, long-lived assets and adoption of new Accounting standards. You will support financial operations in application of U.S. GAAP, and be responsible for the timely preparation of company financial statements. You will also play an integral role in managing the relationship with our external auditors as they perform annual audits and related work.
As SimpliSafe continues our fast-pace growth, there are many innovations which would require Accounting advisory. You will play a key role in collaborating with stakeholders across various departments to understand the business transactions and to form sound accounting judgments, including bringing in external advisor when appropriate. You will then advise the Company Executives on potential implications on our financial statements as well as decisions on how to appropriately record these transactions on our books.
For the right candidate, this role will be incredibly rewarding with a tremendous amount of responsibility, visibility and plenty of room to grow professionally. You will play a pivotal role to liaise between Company Executives, Investors and the external auditor. You will be the go-to-person and resident expert to educate and interpret Accounting concepts to the rest of the company.
What Youll Do:
- Own technical accounting policy and ensure compliance with existing U.S. GAAP
- Assess and implement all technical accounting topics, including evaluation, documentation and communication of all new Accounting standards and reporting trends
- Lead adoption of ASC 842 and other accounting standards, as applicable
- Lead annual review and documentation of Intangible Assets & Goodwill impairment procedures (ASC 350)
- Prepare SimpliSafe to achieve monthly and quarterly financial statement reporting
- Assist in annual financial statement preparation, including the completion and review of accounting disclosure and compliance checklists
- Establish internal controls and policies relating to the financial reporting process
- Prepare the Accounting department for future compliance with SEC reporting and filings
- Oversee foreign subsidiary consolidation, currency translation and re-measurement
- Partner with IT and Financial Systems to develop and deploy new technology applications and ensure compliance with accounting and reporting requirements
- Partner with internal stakeholders to assess the accounting and financial reporting impact of new, strategic, business initiatives, including researching accounting standards for new and complex transactions
What Youll Need:
- Bachelors degree in Accounting and CPA certification, MBA/MSA a plus
- 10+ years of relevant experience, including public accounting and progressive technical accounting experience in-house
- At least 3-5 years of experience in a public company
- Thorough knowledge and experience of current SEC rules and regulations
- Strong technical accounting background and understanding of complex accounting transactions
- Experience auditing or implementing new accounting standards
- Ability to perform advanced technical accounting research and analysis, and documenting results and conclusions