At ActBlue Technical Services, we build and maintain a powerful online fundraising platform for Democratic campaigns, progressive organizations, and nonprofits working to create a better future. Our mission is to put power in the hands of small-dollar donors by making it easier for grassroots supporters to make their voices heard and by helping thousands of groups from presidential candidates to environmental organizations build people-powered movements.
As an engineer with ActBlue Technical Services, you'll be an essential contributor to the capabilities, performance, and security of our platform. We build software that supports millions of page loads every minute. In the 2018 election cycle alone, our platform handled over 40M contributions made from 5M donors.
Our engineering and product organization is made up of 30+ people (and growing!). Were organized into cross-functional teams of 3-6 people with clear areas of complementary focus. Teams operate independently in alignment with the broader organizational goals.
You will be contributing to our inclusive environment, fostering a culture that brings out the best in yourself and your colleagues. Your manager will be your champion and coach and will help ensure you are able to grow as an individual while you contribute to the excellence and advancement of our platform.
We offer autonomy, responsibility, and a team of amazing in-office and remote colleagues, plus generous benefits including an employer-sponsored 401k contribution plan, a flexible time off policy, and a competitive professional development stipend.
ActBlue Technical Services is seeking a Senior Data Engineer to lead the development of our data infrastructure. With over $3 billion processed through ActBlue to date, and our users doubling every two years, we have a complex and rapidly growing data resource. Providing the campaigns and organizations that use our platform with accessible, accurate, and responsive data is critical to empowering their success. In this role, you will be responsible for contributing to the development of all aspects of our data infrastructure, including data warehousing, visualizations, tooling, and analytics. This is an exciting opportunity to contribute to a dataset with direct implications for the success of Democratic campaigns, progressive organizations, and nonprofits nationally.
WHAT YOU'LL BE DOING:
- Designing, developing, optimizing, and testing data systems, services, and tooling to evolve the capacity and accessibility of our high-volume data platform
- Identifying our end users data needs and building efficient and scalable data pipelines to enable data-driven decisions
- Creating frameworks and services that will be used by other ActBlue engineers and data scientists
- Working with other engineering teams to create and optimize our data infrastructure and tooling
WHAT YOU'LL BE WORKING WITH:
- Our stack: Ruby on Rails, React, PostgreSQL, Node.js, Redis
- A team of passionate, curious, and innovative professionals
WHAT YOU'LL BRING:
- Bachelors degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, or a related field, or 5+ years industry experience
- Proven ability to build and support large-scale data solutions and data visualizations
- Advanced knowledge of data manipulation and data mining using SQL
- Advanced knowledge and expertise with AWS technologies such as EC2, EMR, Kinesis, and Redshift
- Significant experience with server-side web application development
- Excitement to write code that makes a difference
- An appetite for ongoing learning and growth and sharing knowledge with peers
OUR ENGINEERING VALUES:
- We believe that ideas are more important than technologies.
- We understand that the tools we build have real-world consequences for millions of people and take that responsibility seriously.
- We know that code isnt just a set of instructions for machines, but communication with other humans; style, elegance, and respect are important.
- We believe that an ability to balance paying off technical debt and rapidly completing a project contributes to the health of the codebase, engineering team, and organization.
- We believe that being correct isnt enough; respect for your colleagues and users is fundamental.
You can work in our Somerville, MA HQ; our satellite office in Portland, OR; or remotely from anywhere in the US (CA, MD, NY, RI, TX, UT, and WI are preferred).
Were a growing team passionate about changing our country. Each and every one of us is fully committed to our mission, and we are looking for new team members who match our passion and are ready to dive in! If you're interested, send your resume to email@example.com!
We offer a competitive salary and a generous compensation package, which includes commuter benefits; fully paid and trans-inclusive health, dental, and vision insurance; an employer-sponsored 401k contribution plan; a generous professional development stipend; three months paid parental leave for all genders, adoptions included; and a flexible time off policy.
Women, people of color, LGBTQIA2S+ individuals, and members of other minority or marginalized groups are strongly encouraged to apply. ActBlue is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against candidates on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, or veteran status.
ActBlue cannot at this time sponsor work visas.
More Jobs From