Office Tour Photos
Were on the hunt for a talented Senior Backend Engineer to join our team. Upserves Backend Engineers are an integral member of the small team that is powering Upserve. They architect and scale the backend data processing infrastructure for our analytics, mobile, and payments platforms. They build the network that handles billions of dollars and volumes of restaurant data. And they work closely with Product, UX, and Dev Ops to coordinate efforts, iterate on features, anticipate future customer needs, and inform the product roadmap.
In a typical week at Upserve, you would
- Kick off the week by participating in sprint planning, and discuss relevant topics with engineering peers.
- Participate in an Architectural Decision Record to develop a new feature or framework.
- Collaborate with our Product and UX team to develop backend interfaces and clarify product requirements.
- Merge your latest feature that will drive product adoption.
- Participate in a blameless postmortem to help improve our application platform.
- Present what you shipped this week at our weekly science fair.
- Work on some of the most difficult and meaty problems that the company faces.
- Share your knowledge with other developers through mentorship.
You are humble yet confident, forward-looking but grounded, thorough yet fast-moving -- in short, you are someone whom people want to work with.
- Have 3+ years of professional experience in building software
- Build correct, well-tested systems and components, driving clarity even given loose direction and requirements
- Take pride in your work and the value that it creates
- Are a pragmatic idealist -- you strive for efficient and practical solutions not just theoretically ideal ones
- Are a believer in moving fast with high quality; Speed and craftsmanship are friends not enemies
- Enjoy talking about user functionality as much as you enjoy talking about functional programming
- Feel a tremendous sense of urgency to get value to our customers, and you tap into that energy to drive, lead and motivate your colleagues to win
- Have worked with server-side frameworks like Ruby on Rails
- Java experience is needed for this role
- PHP experience is a nice to have
- Have built, optimized, and scaled real-time, event-driven, fault-tolerant, and distributed systems
- Get excited about statistical methods and algorithms, and know when to choose the right data structure for the right task
- Know when to employ different storage technologies (e.g. relational, simple file-based, graph-based, noSQL)
This position is based in our Providence, Rhode Island HQ and is eligible for a flexible work schedule/ partial remote work.
We'll invest in your career. Upserve is growing quickly, and we'll give you the opportunity to do the same. Through our internal learning and development resources and our partnership with Vista Equity Partners, you'll have access to a number of professional development opportunities so that you can keep up with the companys evolving needs.
We care about your wellbeing. We pay 100% of your medical and dental insurance coverage, offer tax savings plans for retirement and dependent care, subsidize your transportation costs, offer a generous and inclusive parental leave, and provide catered lunches/meal allowances.
We offer competitive compensation packages. Our people matter! We don't ignore the role that compensation has on motivation and performance so we strive to equitably compensate our people.
We're creating an inclusive environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are a diverse group, so we're building a team that is too. Through our various D&I recruitment partnerships, intramural sports, quarterly engagement and feedback surveys, and more. We're building an organization that provides our employees with the emotional and physical space to bring their best selves to work.
Upserve is the magic ingredient that helps restaurateurs thrive by putting everything they need in one place. We are a leading restaurant management platform with a cloud-based Point of Sale (POS) system, data and analytics, inventory management and payments processing for small to midsize restaurants. Thousands of restaurants use Upserve to manage relationships with more than 57 million active diners, process over $12 billion in annual sales, and to serve over 36 million meals per month.
Upserve is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We strive to have a team that is as diverse as the industry we serve and we partner with a number of local organizations working to improve access to the tech industry for underrepresented groups. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status or disability.
Want to know what its like to work at Upserve? Check out our Instagram, Inside Upserve.
More Jobs From