Senior Automation Developer - Environment Deployment
This role will be responsible for writing automation tools to support automated deployments, environment management, and other automation projects. You will also be supporting our efforts around monitoring and alerting.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Reporting to the Monitoring and Automation manager as part of the Cloud Operations team, the candidate will work closely with other members of the team to create repeatable and reproducible immutable architectures
- Design and implement tools that support our continuing journey towards a fully self-service DevOps Cloud model
- Work on dashboards and improve our overall monitoring and alerting story
- Maintain and enhance our deployment automation toolkit (Chef, Salt, Jenkins,Terraform)
Skills & Requirements:
- 3+ years of direct hands-on cloud experience as a software engineer or architect
- 5+ years as a software developer/toolsmith with a focus on infrastructure support
- Familiarity with monitoring tools and concepts in a SaaS environment
- Comfort in one or more programming languages such as Ruby, Python, or Java
- Significant experience with cloud concepts and technologies along with how to leverage them through provided APIs
- Be familiar with the concept of a DevOps toolchain and have experience with a variety of common industry tools
- Be an expert in Linux and have a robust understanding of core concepts such as security and networking
- Write code that is well documented and designed to be sustainable by others in the future
- Have an opinion about DevOps, Agile development, automation, orchestration, and logging and be able to defend it
- Must be prepared to work in an agile environment where priorities can shift quickly
- Be able to keep high quality documentation and architectural diagrams of software being designed and implemented
- Participate regularly in code review sessions and be prepared to offer thoughtful commentary on others’ work as well as your own\
Might be in a stationary position for a considerable time (sitting and/or standing)
The person in this position needs to move about inside office to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc.
Constantly operates a computer and other office productivity machinery, such as a calculator, copy machine, and computer printer
Must be able to collaborate with colleagues via face to face, conference calls, and online meetings
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (NASDAQ:HMHC) is a global learning company dedicated to changing people’s lives by fostering passionate, curious learners. As a leading provider of pre-K–12 education content, services, and cutting-edge technology solutions across a variety of media, HMH enables learning in a changing landscape. HMH is uniquely positioned to create engaging and effective educational content and experiences from early childhood to beyond the classroom. HMH serves more than 50 million students in over 150 countries worldwide, while its award-winning children's books, novels, non-fiction, and reference titles are enjoyed by readers throughout the world.
For more information, visit http://careers.hmhco.com
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt is an equal employment opportunity employer and participates in E-Verify. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of gender, race/ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, or other protected group status.