Aetna's mandate is to transform health and wellness via products that enable consumer engagement and a best-in-class experience. This team is responsible for Aetna's digital strategy and all digital products; as well as the development roadmap and execution of the roadmap. A key part of this team is to build an integrated platform and underlying products to drive engagement and revolutionize health and wellness.
Aetna is taking on a major initiative to redesign and rebuild many of its customer facing digital assets. This effort will include a completely new approach to developing software within Aetna, using the latest design approaches, technologies, and processes. Aetna Digital is a newly formed startup like business unit within Aetna, which will design, build and deliver a completely new and integrated digital experience for our users.
Come Join Aetna Digital!
Aetna Digital is looking for a Senior Software Architect who will interface with several disciplines within various business units within Aetna including UI, PM, Partners, Engineering, etc. towards the creation of a unified customer facing experience.
Role and Responsibilities
- Serve as technical architecture expert for a scrum team, helping to ensure successful product deliveries
- Provide guidance to developers and other stakeholders regarding the design of server applications, encompassing APIs and micro-services, containers, databases, cloud infrastructures, and cloud services
- Manage the evolution of architectural roadmaps for your domain, showing how new features are released or updated, with an eye on paying down technical debt with minimal disruption
- Ensure all Non-Functional Requirements (e.g. performance, availability and fail-over, scalability, security, etc.) are properly articulated, and work with all parties to guarantee that the software products that are delivered meet these objectives
- Partner with key stakeholders to establish and adopt architectural best practices, guidelines, and standards. Evangelize, mentor, and coach all on the same.
- Lead Proof-Of-Concepts and Spike Solutions, and provide Reference Architectures and Baseline Implementations when appropriate
- Drive buy vs build evaluations, including consideration of OSS
- Participates in high-level estimation
- 10+ years as a software developer/architect. Experience and proficiency with modern languages, frameworks, and technologies such as Java, Python, Node.js, messaging queuing infrastructures, as well as AWS or GCP cloud infrastructure and services
- Experience with the design and development of complex systems; employs a disciplined and rigorous approach
- Adept at requirements analysis, estimation, systems and application design, and testing
- Experience designing RESTful APIs that facilitate a superior UX or simplify systems integration.
- Familiarity with popular Design Patterns catalogues
- Experience with RDBMS and/or NoSQL databases. Understands the benefits and trade-offs of both. Familiar with normalization and denormalization, sharding, and other data-centric patterns
- Experience with distributed computing architectures, including race conditions, parallelism, and concurrency control
- Excellent collaboration, influencing, evangelization, negotiation, coaching, mentoring, and coalition-building skills. Ability to work with persons in all job functions (e.g. Product, UX, developers, QA, DevOps).
- Excellent verbal and written communications
- Ability to manage multiple competing priorities with minimal supervision. Self-directed
- A great team player, with demonstrable experience delivering superior software products via Agile methodologies
- Experience on an Agile team
- A proven track record working as part of a team on large architectural projects
- Experience with micro-services
- Experience architecting solutions for AWS or Google clouds
- Experience with distributed caching solutions; understands the factors that enable effective caching
- Exposure to Big-Data and/or Machine Learning
- Exposure to CI/CD and DevOps
- Experience with SAFe Software Development Principles
- Meeting facilitation
Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience.
Additional Job Information
- Dollar-for-dollar match up-to 5% of your 401(k) contributions!
- Health care (HSA/FSA), dental, vision benefits, PTO
- Gym / Showers
- A top of the line MacBook Pro
- Sit/stand desk
- Free Parking (Burlington, MA office)
- Aetna-sponsored refreshments, Friday lunches, etc.
- Tuition reimbursement
- Reimbursement also available for additional Certification, Training & Conferences
Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
Percent of Travel Required
0 - 10%
More Jobs From