Senior Android Engineer - Emerging Technologies
Wayfairs founders, Steve Conine and Niraj Shah, kick-started their careers as engineers- turned-entrepreneurs, growing an e-commerce business over several years with an exceptional mission: Everyone should live in a home they love. Our Software Engineering organization drives this by finding real-world solutions to complex business challenges facing customers and stakeholders every day. Our global teams move fast, build to scale, and approach each opportunity with agility and creativity.
Shopping for the home is often overwhelming. Wayfair is an extreme case its visited by two million people daily, shopping across more than 10 million products: Home furnishings, dcor, home improvement, housewares, and more. Our software engineering teams work hard to conceal the complexity of this experience. Every customer should come away feeling like theyve found the perfect item for them. Shopping for the home should be exciting, and were the team that makes that happen..
What Will You Do?
- Write high quality Java and Kotlin code in collaboration with iOS and Android developers.
- Investigate and build solutions for core customer problems utilizing 3D, AR & more.
- Work with designers to refine our user experiences with an eye to Human Interface Guidelines and other Android best practices.
- Collaborate actively with backend developers on features that span web/mobile web and the native apps.
- Review code and provide clear feedback to other developers on your team and adjacent groups, as well as investigate and propose new ideas for advancing development practices.
Who Are You?
- You have an Undergraduate or Masters Degree in Computer Science/Computer Engineering/Software Engineering or equivalent, and at least 2+ years of professional Android development experience.
- You have a deep understanding of Android fundamentals, interacting with endpoints, debugging using breakpoints, and memory management on Android.
- You are interested in emerging technologies and have started playing with ARCore.
- You have a passion for writing clean, readable, and thoroughly tested code.
- You are excited to learn about new libraries and technologies, and stay on the cutting edge of the evolving mobile landscape.
How Will You Be Challenged?
This is a great opportunity to work with Android at scale, contribute to an app used by millions worldwide, while being backed by an organization that is experiencing explosive growth. You will be joining small, agile team of developers who will be rapidly prototyping emerging technology solutions for huge customer problems, ultimately creating key features within our consumer apps. Your projects will include partnerships with Computer Vision, Room Planner and the Wayfair Next team which means you will be working with cutting edge technologies, and within innovative processes, to build on the foundation of our award-winning applications.
- We won a Webby for our genre-defining use of ARKit to help our customers find the best pieces to fit in their home.
- We worked with marketing, backend and design to build a dynamic, scalable promotions system for supporting dozens of flash sales, visited by millions of customers shopping on our Way Day promotional holiday.
- We have been adopting GraphQL to provide more freedom and flexibility in optimizing our interactions with our backend APIs.
- We have been deep into a process of re-architecting our apps into feature and infrastructure modules to help our team scale and reuse code within our growing ecosystem of native apps