Help design and develop all elements of computer systems security for the flagship Vertica Analytics Database. Design and implement complex security requirements ranging from authentication, authorization and encryption in order to secure communications and data across several distributed systems. You’ll also integrate with popular security infrastructure tools and help promote a culture of secure development across the entire Vertica engineering team.
The Vertica Security team, located in Cambridge, seeks software engineers specializing in systems security to help us take our Big Data Analytics Platform to the next level.
With each data breach you hear in the news it becomes more and more clear just how important data is to users, businesses and bad actors alike. Vertica enables massive analytics at scale for any number of industries and use cases, and what unites them all is a need for strong security. It is no longer sufficient to merely solve big data problems; it also has to be done in a way that makes no compromises on security while being easy for administrators and users to understand.
The world looks to Vertica to solve big data problems, and the Vertica product development group looks to the security engineering team to define and implement security features, foster best practices and promote a culture of security both internally in our development organization and externally with our customer base.
In this role you will design and implement core security system components to ensure authorized, reliable, and high-performance database operation. You will employ cutting edge techniques to innovate and implement new security features as well as integrate with other systems, because security is a whole application problem, not just a database problem. Beyond product development, you will have opportunities to build tools, processes and best practices to make it easier for other developers to understand the many security challenges a modern big data application faces and to empower developers to make good technical decisions.
We need a self-directed engineer who is capable of solving problems in diverse areas, including:
- Distributed Systems
- Authentication and Authorization
- Cryptography, Hashing and Encryption
- Secure Development Lifecycle
Your responsibilities will include:
- Design, develop, and improve security mechanisms for large scale database operations such as access control, auditing, and encryption in motion and at rest
- Coordinate with other development teams to teach security best practices through design reviews, threat modeling exercises and code reviews
- Define requirements for new features in collaboration with Product Managers, Support Engineers, and customers
- Diagnose, debug, and resolve product issues discovered during the development process and reported by customers
You’re a great fit if you meet these requirements:
- Bachelor, Masters, or PhD in Computer Science, Engineering, or related field
- Strong understanding of data structures, algorithms, and software engineering practices for secure application development
- Familiarity with and interest in all facets of computer systems security
- Excellent technical communication skills
- Working knowledge of C/C++ and practical experience with openssl, MIT Kerberos or other popular security libraries
- Familiarity with the challenges inherent in distributed applications and concurrent programming
- Comfortable writing software for Linux and working on Linux
About our team
The best ideas often come from fresh perspectives. At Vertica, our open-minded, diverse and inclusive team is always learning from each other. We approach intellectually challenging work with a "get it done" attitude. Vertica Engineers are given significant latitude and support to pursue what they are passionate about to make Vertica an even better place. If you are excited about building great technology with a proactive team, you will find yourself in good company at Vertica. Welcome to the family.
About our product
Vertica is a recognized leader in analytics powering some of the world’s most data driven organizations like Uber, Wayfair, Intuit, Cerner, and more. Our columnar, MPP, distributed database delivers unprecedented speed, petabyte scale, with analytics and machine learning functions built into the core.
We believe the future belongs to the fast. Join us for the ride!
Micro Focus is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Prospective employees will receive consideration without discrimination because of race, colour, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information, citizenship or any other legally protected status
More Jobs From