You will be part of a talented cross functional team that is changing the way that learners and course administrators engage with online education around the world!
The Experience team within edX is growing! Our embedded Agile structure allows the group to influence and shape the user experience across the edX platform. In this role within the Content theme, youll partner closely with members of product design, product management, and engineering to improve how educational content creators author and build courses as well as how millions of learners interact with each other. We are also underway with building our design system for the future. From buttons to our more complex patterns, these efforts will enable our core product teams and in the future our large open source community.
edX, a Cambridge-based non-profit, is dedicated to increasing access to high-quality online education to everyone, everywhere. Its a big job - think universal design, accessibility, and usability - and were looking for someone interested in the challenge of building great experiences within the ed-tech program space.
- Shape the strategic vision of key content authoring and learner business areas in close partnership with cross-functional leads (engineering, product, program management, learning team)
- Act as a servant leader, mentor, and subject matter expert to help elevate the quality of work within the overall UX team
- Manage and support the career development and performance needs of a team of 2-3 designers
- Lead and mentor others in discovery research using multiple methods while widely sharing insights to the cross functional team as well as with the organization
- Influence, model, and scale ways of working beyond the local product design team to evangelize customer-centric design into the larger organization
- Plan and facilitate broader design review sessions including feedback synthesis in real time to articulate and capture next steps and solutions with team members and stakeholders
- Proactively prioritize, manage, and identify opportunities for value-added work through formal and informal channels
- Rigorously measure the impact of design work and provide evidence-based design guidance to teams and stakeholders
- Thrive in ambiguity; lead problem-solving within complex systems with ease
- Act as an innovation catalyst by identifying opportunities for step-function change
- Establish best practices and philosophies around a variety of tools and technique
- Recent experience in a product design (UX/UI) role ~10+ years
- 2+ years of experience mentoring, coaching and/or managing team members
- High EQ which helps you collaborate with colleagues of all levels, bring cross-functional teams together, and foster a supportive manager/employee relationship
- The desire to partner with a cross-functional team to reach great solutions, educate and influence through design best practices
- Deep expertise with delivering and managing design work for Product Development in an Agile environment
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written)
- Experience with defining both happy path and edge case story maps that consider engineering as well as business constraints
- Expertise in identifying the need for and facilitating collaborative group activities and/or workshops with colleagues
- Experience with designing within brand standards and design systems
- Experience with concept validation research, usability testing, and other methods of customer research
- Passion for inspiring others in the org to engage with customers, design thinking and UX/UI best practices
Nice to Have
- High fidelity design capabilities
- Microcopy writing
- Interest in management or creating centers of excellence
Why youll like it here:
- edX is collaborative at its core. Youll work within your team and across the organization, allowing for continuous learning and discovery.
- Were on a mission to unlock our learners potential on a global level, seeking to create a more diverse, equitable and inclusive world.
- We set outcomes that matter and provide value in all that we do, from building meaningful products to serving the edX community.
We understand that applying for a job can be intimidating. Applicants rarely meet every single job requirement, and we know there are many skills and backgrounds that will contribute to success in this role.
Thats why we provide new employees with:
- Employee onboarding and training sessions
- Personalized 30/60/90+ day plans
- Individual quarterly and annual goals
- Career pathways
And much more to support you in your personal journey at edX! That said, if this role looks like a great next step for you, please apply even if you cant check every box. Wed love to hear from you!
edX is the education movement for restless learners. Together with our founding partners Harvard and MIT, weve brought together over 30 million learners, the majority of top-ranked universities in the world, and industry-leading companies onto one online learning platform that supports learners at every stage. And were not stopping thereas a global nonprofit, were relentlessly pursuing our vision of a world where every learner can access education to unlock their potential, without the barriers of cost or location.