Product Design Engineer
Aila is redefining how retailers interface with their customers through a platform of high-performance enterprise devices built around Apple products, such as iPad and iPod. Our mission is to become the predominant technology provider to retailers who are deploying tablets and mobile devices in-store – and we’re well on our way with clients like Stop & Shop, Pacific Sunwear and Bloomingdale’s. We believe that the future of retail technology will be based around consumer devices that are simpler, lighter and more familiar – transcending the limitations and expense of current technologies while providing an enhanced and more personalized shopping experience.
Aila is an exciting startup that is experiencing rapid growth. We’re VC-backed, at revenue, and working with partners such as IBM and Apple to deploy technology to premier enterprises worldwide. We’re an entrepreneurial and funloving team, dedicated to building a great company, and are looking for superstars to join us for the journey.
We’re seeking a talented engineer with the ability to turn concepts into scalable products. This role calls for an exceptional product designer who thrives on architecting innovative products, can function as both key contributor and leader in a multi-disciplinary team, and has a working knowledge of taking products through manufacturing. As a product design engineer, you will:
- Work within our multi-disciplinary team to define, design, build, and test new products across the lifecycle from initial conception to mass production
- Design the architectural layout and detailed plastic and metal components
- Explore and source materials, vendors, and components
- Build and troubleshoot prototypes
- BS in mechanical engineering
- 5+ years of experience in product design and development, working within agencies or companies known for excellence in product development
- Proficient in SolidWorks, including experience with master modeling and advanced surfacing
- Familiarity with production processes such as injection molding and sheet metal as well as prototyping techniques such as 3D printing, laser cutting, and urethane casting
- Strong knowledge of mechanical engineering fundamentals and manufacturing techniques, including DFM
- Keen design sense with an eye for detail
- Ability to communicate ideas interactively, including strong sketching abilities
- Previous industry experience designing connected and/or mobile devices
- Familiar with electromechanical assemblies: LCD’s, batteries, sensors, flexes, PCB’s, antennas, buttons, etc.
- Experience with optical design, both imaging and illumination optics
- Familiar with Adobe products such as: Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign
- Hands-on experience with machine shop tools and 3D printers
- Flexible, enjoys wearing multiple hats and working in a fast-paced environment
- Contagious enthusiasm and passion for engineering