Hometap has an ambitious mission to make homeownership less stressful and more accessible. Our vision is to make the idea of bringing on an investor for your home as ubiquitous as borrowing to finance a home is today. We also aspire to build a long lasting durable financial-technology company that becomes a hallmark of the Boston economy.
We are passionately building a business and industry that is homeowner-centric and empowers current and prospective homeowners to access their home's equity, free of debt. Our first product allows a homeowner to tap into the built-in value of their home in order to do the big-ticket stuff that makes life better: start a business, renovate their home, get out from under crippling debt, pay for college tuition or help family members in times of need.
Today, Hometap makes investments in residential homes, buying a small equity stake against the homes future value. For homeowners, this is a simplified, sensible alternative to mortgage debt and monthly payments. For investors, this is a new asset class, allowing them to participate in the multi-trillion-dollar residential real estate market without the obligations and downsides of homeownership. This product is scaling rapidly and we have begun our plans to expand our platform to support numerous other products over time, complex data science-driven pricing, and investment structure permutations. Our solution leverages advanced data and analytics as we create best-in-class experiences for our homeowners, business and asset capital partners.
About the role
Reporting to our Senior Regulatory Counsel, youll collaborate with Product, Engineering, Sales, Marketing and other teams throughout the company to solve complex legal problems in real time and enable the business to scale and grow. The Product Counsel should have excellent judgment in balancing legal risks with business strategy and a proven ability to quickly ramp-up, support multiple projects, learn new areas of law, and advise teams in a fast-paced environment.
- Advise all levels of the company on a range of laws and regulations, including digital advertising, consumer protection, financial regulations, privacy, and data security laws.
- Provide pragmatic day-to-day advice to minimize legal risks while advancing business interests and ensuring an excellent customer experience.
- Design and develop legal processes to help support the launch of new products and services.
- Conduct research and analysis into federal and state regulatory frameworks relevant to company operations.
- Facilitate strategic partnerships and vendor relationships by negotiating non-disclosure agreements and contracts.
- Support the legal team across on other key initiatives ranging from capital raises to regulatory engagements.
- J.D. degree, with 4+ years of relevant legal experience at a top law firm, government agency, or in-house legal department, preferably with experience at a fast-growing startup.
- Familiarity with launching products and advising on the legal and regulatory aspects of product development in the consumer financial space.
- Fluency in translating legal advice into actionable guidance for innovative product and business teams.
- Comfort with ambiguity and ability to organize, prioritize, and manage multiple projects in a dynamic, fast-paced environment.
- Experience working with cross-functional teams and owning and driving projects from beginning to end.
- Familiarity with real estate, lending, mortgage and related industries a plus.
- Exemplary personal and professional integrity and business ethics.
- Commitment to diversity and a respect for others.
Our Team & Culture
At Hometap, we pride ourselves on being Owners -- of our jobs, our output, our careers -- and Good Neighbors -- we believe helping each other means helping the company, homeowners, and investors succeed.
Equally important to your skill set is what you bring to our team and business. We are looking for a creative thinker who looks for opportunities within challenges, rolls up their sleeves to get things done, values collaboration and communication, and embraces the Homeowner-first mentality. Critical to our mission is being thoughtful in everything we build. If youre someone who embraces this builder mentality, youll be right at home here.