We believe that we are better together, and at Tripadvisor we welcome you for who you are. Our workplace is for everyone, as is our people powered platform. At Tripadvisor, we want you to bring your unique identities, abilities, and experiences, so we can collectively revolutionize travel and together find the good out there.
We believe in championing the diverse perspectives, experiences, voices, and abilities of our employees, travelers, candidates, business partners, and industry peers. This inspires us to think bigger, act more fearlessly, improve constantly, and always remember we are better together.
At Tripadvisor, we believe theres good out there. We understand that travel brings out the best in us, while lifting deserving businesses and strengthening the communities we meet along the way. We know that as the worlds largest travel site, were here to inspire and empower people to explore our world with confidence and share their trip experiences with others. And every day, we see our ideas come to life in work that enables travelers to discover all the good the world has to offer. As part of the Tripadvisor team, youll have the opportunity to do the same.
We are looking to engage with highly experienced Engineers who aspire to take on technical leadership and/or management duties as well as hands-on design, architecture and coding. As the newest Principal Software Engineer you'll be joining a world class Engineering team creating a new domain-driven platform architecture with an emphasis on cloud infrastructure and site reliability and observability.
We have a fun and friendly environment where the key objective is getting things done. Our engineers are part of the full process from design, to code, to test, to deployment and back again for further iteration. This is a very bottom-up organisation; there are no software architects thinking deep thoughts and directing the action from above. We trust our engineers to come up with, implement and take responsibility for their own designs.
What Youll Do:
- Touch code at every level from the UI, to the servlets and backend services, down to the database.
- Design complex systems through the entire stack with an organization-wide impact
- Work with the technical leadership to make strategic technology decisions.
- Partner with the product team to design new features.
- Be responsible for the code quality on your team.
- Mentor more junior developers.
You have demonstrated excellence running cross-functional engineering teams in fast-paced environments, both in terms of technical leadership and hands-on coding. You can drive results within a strong, talented, opinionated team, and have a solid track record of project delivery. You are a leader who can prioritize, communicate clearly, and partner effectively with both technical and non-technical employees. The TripAdvisor engineering team requires innovative thinking balanced with a strong customer focus.
- Bachelor of Science or above in Computer Science
- A solid foundation in computer science, with strong competencies in data structures, algorithms, and Object Oriented Software Design
- Strong cloud knowledge ideally with AWS, particularity with migrating apps and/or services to the cloud and building cloud-native apps/solutions (GCP also considered)
- Experience with high-volume web applications preferred
- 10+ years of large scale, full life cycle development experience
- 10+ years experience developing complete Java-based, database-driven server side, multithreaded web applications.
- Strong knowledge of observability best practices and tools (logs, metrics, traces etc)
- Track record of proven success as a key technical leader with a bias towards action.
What youll get:
- Annual bonus.
- Highly competitive salary
- Excellent contributory pension.
- Full family private medical cover.
- Full dental cover.
- Annual wellbeing allowance (e.g. gym membership)
- Personal travel reimbursement.
- Critical illness plus full life cover.
- Childcare vouchers.
- Cycle to work scheme.
- Employee assistance program.