We are looking for a Principal Software Developer to join our Data Pipelines team within Platform Services Engineering. Our Data Pipelines team works to build highly usable workflows to enable customers and internal teams to seamlessly ingest data in bulk from sources external to athenahealth.
As a Principal, you will combine the essentials of raw talent and a burning passion to succeed. You will need a history of working through complex business issues and leading successful development and deployment of large, complex projects.
You are a developer with experience building full-stack web applications, preferably in cloud-based environments both public and private. You are a tenacious but nimble learner who is ready to dig into the challenges at the intersection of healthcare and technology. You are motivated to solve complex problems in ways that satisfy customer needs and architectural design standards. You are a clear and thoughtful communicator who can discuss your work in technical and non-technical spaces. You find value in a team oriented around cooperative learning, mutual accountability, and shared success.
The Team: On the Data Pipelines team, we create performant and highly adaptable workflows to enable operations teams and other developers to quickly and easily ingest and make use of data coming from outside athenahealth. We also build robust monitoring and logging to ensure the success of these data workflows. We collaborate with our users to understand which features they engage with and which they avoid in order to prioritize our development efforts. Ultimately, we ensure that healthcare data is where it needs to be, when it needs to be there, and is accurate and usable when it arrives.
- Produce accurate, unambiguous technical design specifications with the appropriate detail. Lead design and development on an agile team of Engineers, a Scrum Master, a Product Owner, and Experience Designer.
- Collaborate, mentor and advise team members to promote productivity and effectiveness; share business and technical insights with the broader engineering and product organization.
- Develop knowledge to act as a domain expert. Take ownership of what the team builds and oversee efforts across the team to ensure completion.
- 10+ years of software engineering and computer science experience, including design and development.
- Expertise in at least one modern programming language such as: C#, C++, Perl, Java, Python, and Node.js.
- Significant Experience with object-oriented programing and distributed computing technologies
- Significant experience with relational databases and SQL.
- Experience with modern big data technologies.
- Experience working in Agile teams.
- Our Vision: To create a thriving ecosystem that delivers accessible, high-quality, and sustainable healthcare for all.
- Our Location: This role is based in Watertown, MA, just a few miles outside of Boston. Watertown is our global headquarters and our campus, the Arsenal on the Charles, is home to several restaurants, a local gym and large outdoor space. This office also has a cafeteria, coffee caf and food trucks that rotate every day.
- Our Culture: At athenahealth, our employees (or athenistas) are committed to making healthcare smarter. Our success is dependent on the diversity, collective spirit, and contributions of our people, clients, and partners. We value teamwork and believe that the strength of our team comes from supporting each other and leveraging our specialized skills. If you are looking for a company that will enable you to work outside of your comfort zone to transform the healthcare ecosystem, athenahealth is the place for you.
- Our Perks: Along with health and financial benefits, our athenistas are offered a variety of perks that promote employee wellbeing such as commuter support, collaborative workspaces and dog-friendly offices - just to name a few.