Principal Software Engineer - Front End
We are looking for an experienced & talented principal-level front end engineer to guide our front end technology decisions. This is a hands-on technical leader who has a mastery of modern front end tech and embodies leading by example. You would be a trusted advisor to engineering leadership, providing guidance on all decisions regarding front end tech and in particular our transition to a single page app. You will help shape our front end development principles and standards through hands-on contributions. You will be a mentor and coach to other front end engineers. You will do this by working on front end infrastructure as well as on a small, cross functional team that builds user-facing features.
As an integral member of our Engineering team, you will create, contribute to, and own pieces of our software development platform and ecosystem. Just as important, we are looking for someone who wants to be in a startup, has tremendous communication skills, and is motivated and a self-starter. We greatly value teamwork and thus are looking for a person who engages & collaborates with others in an inclusive, peer-oriented manner, independent of their experience level or background.
As a small technology company, we seek individuals who are willing to be cross-functional, hands-on in multiple areas, and a technical thought leader for the organization. You will be testing, releasing and supporting the code that you develop. You are expected to take on and own initiatives and duties for the company, spark and lead discussion, and help establish the companys technical direction while providing timely and quality support and education across the organization. This is a tremendous opportunity to build the engineering foundation of the company.
- Shape our front-end technology, best practices and UI vision
- Collaborate with Product Managers, UX Designers and Engineers to develop elegant, reusable front end components for all Ellevation products
- Own and maintain internal component library
- Collaborate frequently in design reviews, pair programming and code reviews
- 5-10 years experience in front end engineering in a startup, web-based SaaS environment
- Deep experience with building a single page app and a component based architecture, from the ground up
- Firm understanding of HTML5 and CSS standards and usage
- Understanding of web page and component display principles using AJAX, partial updates, and asynchronous request handling
- Knowledge of responsive, cross-browser compatibility strategies and related debugging tools
- Values clean and elegant but pragmatic and effective software design in order to meet deadlines with high-quality code
- Experience working within an Agile organization (Kanban, scrum, etc.)
- Commitment to continuous improvement and the mission; desire to focus talents on helping improve outcomes for others.
At Ellevation, we develop world-class software to help school districts and educators support the fastest growing population of K-12 students: English Learners (ELs). By combining great products, student data, and research on best practices, Ellevation helps school districts transform their EL programs and ensure all students can achieve their highest aspirations.
We are a fast-growing, mission-driven technology company, partnering with over 700 public school districts all across the country. We are well-capitalized, have a strong and growing team, and are continuously focused on how to build the best organization so that we can achieve our ambitious social and financial objectives.
In addition to our great benefit plans and competitive salaries, here are some other perks that make us unique:
+ Great location in Boston - a stones throw from the Chauncy Street/Downtown Crossing T stop
+ Ability to make a significant impact in the education industry
+ Fun Fridays including virtual happy hours with our remote team
+ Free snacks, beverages, fruit, and we even compost!
+ On-site gym, game room and darts to support all levels of athleticism
+ Opportunity to join an open and collaborative work environment!
Learn more about our team in our Culture Deck.
At Ellevation, we champion diversity. Were an equal opportunity employer, committed to creating an inclusive workplace that promotes and values a range of ideas and opinions. We embrace all types of differences in the development of our organization.