Office Tour Photos
Were not your traditional tech company and we dont aim to be. Going against the grain is in our DNA. Building a revolutionary product begins with revolutionary thinking. Thats why we value diversity of thought, background and experience. Together, we empower restaurants of all sizes to build great teams, increase revenue, improve operations, and delight their guests. We pair our deep understanding of the restaurant industry with powerful cloud based software and restaurant-grade hardware to deliver an intuitive all-in-one platform. Join us on our mission to empower the restaurant community to delight guests, do what they love, and thrive.
Toast is looking for a Principal Software Engineer to play a critical role on the team responsible for building our eCommerce platform and associated integration technologies. This platform enables restaurants to discover and order Toast products and services on the web. We at Toast believe a great e-commerce experience is a critical part of delivering a frictionless self-service experience for ordering Toast products to the restaurants we serve. We are combining Magento eCommerce platform with integrations to standard enterprise systems such as ERP (Netsuite), CRM (Salesforce) and Marketing automation (Marketo) to deliver a seamless experience for our customers, business operations, sales, and customer success teams. These systems, along with others, play a critical role in how we engage and maintain high quality relationships with the restaurants we serve. Every day we are working on interesting problems of scale, representing billions of dollars in value to our customers. We need your help to build and improve our platform and add the next generation of features to this absolutely mission critical part of our product.
As a principal software engineer on the E-commerce team, you will be:
- Accountable for the successful implementation and scaling of our Magento platform
- Designing, building and maintaining high performance, flexible and highly scalable web and mobile-web applications
- Participating in designing, estimating effort, implementing, testing, debugging, configuring, integrating and documenting database, middle-tier and front-end code
- Diagnosing performance bottlenecks and implementing optimizations
- Thinking in terms of the end-user and designing accordingly
- Actively contributing to product design and feature selection discussions
- Participating in code reviews to ensure technical implementations meet functional requirements
- Mentoring other team members
Do you have the right ingredients?
- Proficient in Java; Kotlin is a plus
- Well-versed in API architecture patterns including REST
- Proficient in building single-page applications for the web using ReactJS or Backbone or Angular.
- Experience with Cloud-first architecture using AWS
- Distributed system architecture design using publish/subscribe patterns
Additional skills are a huge plus (but not mandatory)
- Experience working with Magento 2, customizing and enhancing web stores
- Hands on experience with PHP
- Business applications integration experience: NetSuite and/or Salesforce
Our Tech Stack
Toasts products run on a stack that ranges from guest and restaurant-facing Android tablets to backend services in Java to internal, guest-facing and restaurant-facing web apps. Our backend services follow a microservice architecture written using Java 8 and DropWizard; we use AWS extensively, ranging from S3 to RDS to Lambda. We have our own platform for dealing with user management, service elevations and robust load balancing. Toast stores data in a set of sharded Postgres databases and utilizes Apache Spark for large scale data workloads including query and batch processing. The front-end is built primarily using Angular and ES6. The main Toast POS application is an Android application written in Java and Kotlin. For data between tablets and our cloud platform we operate RabbitMQ and Pulsar clusters, as well as direct tablet communication to the back end. We are introducing the Magento platform into our tech stack with our e-commerce investments.
More Jobs From