Office Tour Photos
HMH Software Engineering provides cutting edge, individualized learning experiences to millions of students across the United States. We are as driven by this mission as we are by continuously improving ourselves and the way we work. Our offices are high energy, collaborative bee hives of activity where work is centered on small, autonomous teams that build great software. We trust each other, hold ourselves and our teammates accountable for results, and improve student outcomes with each release.
At HMH we constantly experiment with new approaches and novel ways of solving problems. We often succeed and sometimes stumble – either way we learn and move forward with more confidence than we had the day before. We are as passionate about new technologies and engineering craftsmanship as we are about transforming the EdTech industry itself.
Principal Software Engineers are the technology leaders of our highest impact projects. Your high energy is contagious, you actively collaborate with others across the engineering organization, and you seek to learn as much as you like to teach. You personify the notion of constant improvement as you work with your team and the larger engineering group to build software that delivers on our mission. You use your extraordinary technical competence to ensure a high bar for excellence while you mentor other engineers on their own path towards craftsmanship. You are most likely T-shaped, with broad knowledge across many technologies plus strong skills in a specific area. Principal Software Engineers embrace the opportunity to represent HMH in industry groups and open-source communities.
We’re not just looking for hands on a keyboard to pound out code, we’re looking for talented teammates and colleagues who contribute as much as they receive and thrive working with us.
If this sounds like you let’s talk.
- You will one of the engineering leaders across the entire global engineering group.
- Setting technical direction across product spaces.
- Applying domain expertise to improving technology practices, standards and methodologies within the group.
- Minimum 12 years of experience
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field
- Experience working with JVM-based languages such as Java and Scala
- Exceptional technical competence that includes a portfolio of thought leadership and individual technical accomplishments.
- Demonstrated examples of adopting new technologies and methodologies such as functional programming, distributed computing, machine learning, advanced data engineering, serverless computing.
- Experience working with cloud technologies (AWS/Azure) in conjunction with systems like Apache Kafka, Apache Spark, Amazon Kinesis, etc.
- Experience working with Agile software development methodologies.
- Might be in a stationary position for a considerable time (sitting and/or standing)
- The person in this position needs to move about inside office to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc
- Constantly operates a computer and other office productivity machinery, such as a calculator, copy machine, and computer printer
- Must be able to collaborate with colleagues via face to face, conference calls, and online meetings
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (NASDAQ:HMHC) is a global learning company dedicated to changing people’s lives by fostering passionate, curious learners. As a leading provider of pre-K–12 education content, services, and cutting-edge technology solutions across a variety of media, HMH enables learning in a changing landscape. HMH is uniquely positioned to create engaging and effective educational content and experiences from early childhood to beyond the classroom. HMH serves more than 50 million students in over 150 countries worldwide, while its award-winning children's books, novels, non-fiction, and reference titles are enjoyed by readers throughout the world.
For more information, visit http://careers.hmhco.com
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt is an equal employment opportunity employer and participates in E-Verify. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of gender, race/ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, or other protected group status.
More Jobs From