Imagine the future you could help us build.
Teamwork, not just tech work. We are tech futurists and business geniuses. Together, we solve problems to make daily life easier. We are looking for a few more great minds to join our team as we continue to grow one of the world's leading consumer robot companies.
Together, we empower people to do more.
The Principal Quality Engineer supports major NPI programs either directly, or through Senior Leads, of product platforms from cradle to grave within iRobot, working across competencies and providing quality expertise and leadership. He/She is responsible for ensuring the effective and timely execution of Quality deliverables across the entire product life cycle on new programs, sustaining and supporting day-to-day manufacturing. He/She represents the voice of the customer and is a continuous improvement force in the organization.
Responsible for ensuring product requirements can be met consistently prior to Mass Production and during ongoing production. Accountable to provide rigorous review, oversight and execution of the overall quality deliverables during the product development process, including but not limited to the following:
- Be instrumental in the design of robust assembly operations and manufacturing processes through manufacturability assessment and error-proofing methods to prevent operator errors
- Design effective quality and process control methods/plans throughout the supply chain to ensure product requirements can be met on a consistent basis during manufacturing
- Effectively manage the closed-loop problem resolution process to minimize the impact of quality issues to the field/customer from proper material containment and screening to rigorous root cause identification and corrective action implementation to prevent recurrence.
- Manage field returns and other key quality metrics to assess product and process performance in his/her area to continually drive product quality improvements effectively and in a timely manner
- Effect the design of robust production testing processes to prevent the escapement of product nonconformities
- Cooperate with manufacturing partners to carry out GR&R or other MSA to verify the precision of test stations used in production
- Be an integral member in phase gate and design reviews to assess production readiness in terms of quality, reliability and manufacturability
- Participate and effectively influence the selection and qualification of key suppliers and contract manufacturers.
- Creation and alignment of cosmetic samples / standards
- Recommend or develop business process tools that enhance the effectiveness or efficiency of the quality function
- Provide regular quality updates and performance summaries as required
- Provide leadership and guidance to junior team members
- Perform other related duties as required by management
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical, Industrial or Electrical engineering.
- 10+ years’ combined experience working in a quality function on complex electromechanical systems in high volume manufacturing environments
- Highly motivated and self-directed with a strong sense of urgency, with an ability to pull in resources from other departments as required.
- In depth knowledge and proven ability to steer the product life cycle process; new product introduction, sustainment, end of life/obsolescence.
- Highly skilled with root cause analysis tools and methods.
- Highly skilled with defect avoidance methodologies such as poke yoke, DFMEA/PFMEA, DOE
- Strong knowledge and experience with APQP concepts and methodologies including FMEA, quality control planning, error-proofing, PPAP, SPC, MSA.
- Proven and demonstrated ability to mobilize and lead teams towards a common goal
- Strong interpersonal, organizational and communication skills, with a demonstrated track record of communicating effectively to Senior Management
- Highly Proficient in MS Office suite of applications. Proficiency in Minitab and Weibull ++ desired.
- Experience with overseas manufacturing, particularly China, is desired.
- CQE, CMQ/OE, and CQA certifications a plus
- 10-20% travel required, including international
iRobot’s staff includes some of the most talented and influential people in the robotics field. This is an exciting opportunity to work in a new and fast-growing industry in a position that will both challenge and provide unmatched experience. iRobot offers an excellent compensation and benefits package, as well as a dynamic and exciting working environment.
iRobot is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
More Jobs From