Office Tour Photos
Principal Engineer, Tech Lead
Labs @ EF Tours
Cambridge, MA, USA
Who we are and what we do:
Tour Engineering @ EF Tours is the group of engineering and creative professionals empowering EF to send groups of students and educators on guided educational tours across the world. We power every step of our customers journey with us, from showcasing our many tour offerings and personalized itineraries on the web, through to collecting feedback after the tour. Over the course of your career with us, youll have the opportunity to try your hand at everything from building beautiful customer front end interactions, to solving large scale data optimization problems, and everything in between.
What youll do:
You will lead a cross-functional, largely autonomous engineering team (of around 5 developers) working closely with other developers, designers and a product manager in building modern enterprise solutions focused on payment processing, tour pricing, and core financial competencies. As a technical lead, you will have end-to-end ownership of the architecture, technical roadmap and projects. You will guide the team through the entire software design life cycle, from brainstorming and design through testing, release and ongoing maintenance. You will be expected to ensure the software we write is universally reliable, robust, accurate and scalable. You will also be expected to support your developers through mentorship, feedback, code reviews, and advancement of internal tools and processes.
In short, you will be doing things like:
- Mentoring developers working with C# (both .Net Core and .Net Framework), React, Docker, Microsoft SQL Server, MongoDB and REST APIs in implementing new services from the ground up in an efficient and sustainable AWS ecosystem
- Creating and executing the technical strategy and roadmap
- Setting an architectural vision and direction for the team, anticipating complex technical challenges via thoughtful long-term planning
- Diving deep into the core of our most important financial systems to help refine, refactor, and in some cases, re-implement them
- Contributing to the craft of software development by discussing new technologies, patterns and tools, and sharing best practices across the engineering organization
- Identifying and addressing performance issues and data integrity issues
Who you are:
You are passionate and thrive in a collaborative environment. You get excited about new technology and new approaches to enhancing the quality and value of the software you deliver.
Were looking for:
- 6+ years of industry experience developing enterprise applications using modern, problem appropriate technologies
- Deep knowledge of a popular and strongly typed language, like Java or C#, applied in a professional environment developing applications for re-use and scale
- Previous success architecting from scratch, shipping and maintaining a large-scale payments processing, ERP, or SCM platform
- Industry experience with high-availability data storage and queueing technologies
- Passion for leveraging the best of breed technology, and an aptitude for learning and using new technologies
Other useful skills include:
- Experience with Agile/Scrum/Kanban methodologies
- Knowledge of modern front-end frameworks and libraries such as React
- Knowledge of managing AWS infrastructure as code (preferably with Terraform)
- Knowledge of PCI Compliance architectural patterns to manage scope
- Enthusiasm to work anywhere in the stack, especially in unfamiliar areas
- Enthusiasm for modern DevOps practices (including containerization and Kubernetes deployments)
Benefits and perks:
We believe that happy people do great work. What makes us happy? Things like:
- The opportunity to travel internationally with our customers (and without too, of course)
- Three weeks paid vacation your first year, and four weeks after your first year
- Free in-house language classes
- A restaurant and bar right inside our building
- Discounts on EF products including our travel and language programs
- Market-leading benefits package including top of the line family health coverage, 401k with company match, tuition reimbursement, and more...
EF is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We are a welcoming place for everyone, and if there is anything we can do to create a more comfortable interview experience for you, please let us know.
EF is the worlds largest international education company providing life-changing educational experiences to create global citizens. We offer millions of people the opportunity to learn a language, travel abroad, experience another culture or earn an academic degree. Since 1965, EFs mission has been opening the world through education. Our 52,000 employees have a worldwide presence in over 600 schools and offices within 50 countries.
For more information about our career opportunities, visit www.careers.ef.com
More Jobs From