Wayfairs Physical Retail team is seeking a General Merchandise Manager (GMM) to build and lead a team of merchants that will help drive Wayfairs physical retail agenda. The GMM will be a part of the Physical Retail Leadership Team that will help craft and execute Wayfairs strategy as we stand up and scale stores across North America. We believe there is a white space in the brick-and-mortar market and an opportunity to create a differentiated retail experience that showcases the breadth and depth of our catalog, and the GMM will play a key role in driving this exciting initiative.
The GMM will set the merchandise direction and strategy for their vertical of product categories, to ensure achievement of company business goals. They will be responsible for conceptualizing and developing the merchandise strategy, leading a team of merchants, and defining product assortments across a significant number of categories. They will collaborate closely with several senior-level cross-functional partners (e.g., Allocation, Visual Merchandising, Creative, Store Operations). This leader will develop a deep understanding of the customer, the market, and our business, and pair this with the strategic thinking, creativity, leadership and bias to action that will drive success in this highly entrepreneurial environment. We are seeking a motivated leader who can drive strong sales productivity and profitability, and ensure customer satisfaction, in our physical retail business.
This role is based in Boston and reports to the Chief Merchant of Physical Retail, with significant cross-functional responsibility and exposure to senior executives. As the physical retail portfolio grows, the General Merchandise Manager should expect to build out a team to manage an increasing fleet of stores.
- Own the outcomes for the performance of your categories in-store (revenue and profitability)
- Build out and lead a highly-capable retail merchant team to manage many different categories of products
- Direct merchants in developing tailored product assortments that support the needs of the customer while achieving space efficiency
- Partner closely with Visual Merchandising, Creative, and Store Operations leadership to bring selection to life in the store
- Partner closely with Allocation, Forecasting and Supply Chain leadership to ensure inventory needs are met
- Oversee regular line review and category review processes to assess performance and revise assortment and space allocation strategy, both within and across categories
- Leverage quantitative and qualitative data, along with test-and-learn methodology, to continue to improve performance
- Adjust strategies in-season where needed and provide appropriate and timely direction in order to react to customer and business needs
- With geographic expansion, establish and test potential for regional merchandising solutions
- Become an expert (along with your merchants) on your categories, including the customer journey (offline and online), key competitors, market trends, etc.
- Partner with Wayfairs ecommerce team to build an industry-leading omni-channel offering
- Work closely with supplier executives to design and implement go-to-market strategies
- Significant Physical Retail experience required, with preferred experience in Home or adjacent categories (e.g., general merchandise)
- 7+ years in Retail Management over a fleet of stores (e.g., General Merchandise Manager, senior-level Divisional Merchandise Manager, or similar)
- Demonstrated ability to create and lead important strategic initiatives
- Ability to implement strategic plans and drive results with multiple teams and stakeholders; inspire and motivate teams to bring future state vision to life
- Ability to leverage data (quantitative and qualitative) to drive strategic decision-making and tight execution
- Able to collaborate across all levels of the organization, including executive audiences, to achieve objectives
- Evidence of scrappy start-up execution and a get it done attitude when time is tight and stakes are high
- Thrives in a high growth, ambiguous environment
- Some travel required
About Wayfair Inc.
Wayfair is one of the worlds largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, were reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If youre looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then youll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking.
No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. Were a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair and world for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. Thats why were proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.