Who We Are:
Wayfair is revolutionizing how imagery is created. We are building a Creative team that is producing high volumes of compelling interior and product images in a way thats never been done before. Our 3D Visualization team is combining the best interior imaging talent with photoreal computer rendering to create highly impactful, cost effective images at scale.
Were looking for a quick-thinking visual storyteller with previous experience as a Photo Art Director in home dcor and/or furniture for our specialty brand, Birch Lane. Successful candidates need to be big-picture thinkers, capable of wearing many hats from coach and mentor to producer and negotiator we are looking for a great collaborator who is able to keep business goals in sight and capable of producing jaw dropping imagery which evolves the Birch Lane brand.
In 2D, you know and understand the roles that stylists and photographers play and can direct and collaborate with both. In this position, you will be responsible for driving prop usage, narrative, lighting, composition, cropping, and overall aesthetic decisions for multiple shoots per day across a wide variety of products and needs.
In 3D, youll collaborate with a crew of 3D artists and stylists as well as editors and product buyers in a high-volume, fast-paced 3D studio. We are developing standards, processes, workflows and we need someone who is both creative AND able to juggle the day-to-day responsibilities that come along with building a creative team in a way thats never been done before. Our team works quickly; it is important that applicants thrive in a fast-paced environment and work well under the pressures of ambitious deadlines and who can effectively coach a team through the quick pivots needed to meet business goals.
Who You Are:
- A talented and experienced Studio Art Director. Able to provide input on lighting, styling, design, product selection, room layout and architecture.
- A visual story teller. Able to execute against a creative brief. You need to have a mastery of composition, color, lighting, room design, visual narrative, spacial relationships and the shots to prove it.
- A collaborator. Youll be working each day leading a team of in-house 3D Stylists and in close association with the 3D Viz artists. You will need to communicate your vision in a way that is executable not to mention on brand, time and budget.
- A leader. Your personality and style will have an enormous impact on the team. Your attitude will permeate every aspect of the studioincluding the shots. We have identified a process and a plan, but things change rapidly. You will be asked to lead by example. Adapt, convince, and produce.
- Detail-oriented. You not only catch the tangents, issues with photo realism and over saturated scenes in our images but have the capacity to communicate and guide the new plan or change to team members.
- Thick-skinned. Youll get regular feedback on how your shots have performed so you can adapt in the future. Sometimes it wont be what you were expecting often it will be. Roll with it either way and help the team grow in response.
The teams of 3D stylists and artists are working in very sophisticated software packages. Its not necessary that you are an expert user but you do need to be an expert coach. We believe that a high-level skillset in directing traditional home furnishing photography and technical aptitude will get you there a love of technology will get you there faster.
To be considered for this position you must have
- A digital portfolio which demonstrates outstanding creativity and attention to detail, art direction and influence, photo styling, and creative problem solving
- Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Fine Arts in photography or equivalent relevant experience
- 5+ years of Art Directing in studio or location
- Experience in a variety of studio settings ranging from editorial to retail catalog and location-based photography
- A passion for all things home, including the latest trends and developments; experience in home lifestyle / editorial styling (background in magazine editorial, catalog or eCommerce retail or advertising preferred).
- Ability to negotiate and manage different opinions through a creative endeavor including the ability to present and exchange ideas convincingly and respectfully in a group and individual situations
- Must possess strong communication (both written and oral), problem-solving, organizational, time-management, and analytical skills
- Experience managing and developing creative staff of all experience levels and tenures, and leading a team that is highly entrepreneurial; effective leadership of, and passion for, developing junior talent
- Strong commitment to ensuring quality and exceeding expectations
- Flexibility of working hours and/or overtime, as needed.
- Travel requirements: less than 15%.
- Knowledge of post-processing/retouching and compositing
- Technical knowledge of lighting and/or 3D technologies is an advantage
About Wayfair Inc.
Wayfair is one of the worlds largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, were reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If youre looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then youll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking.
No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. Were a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair and world for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. Thats why were proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.