Operations Research Technical Lead
Wayfairs Operations Research team is looking for scientists, technologists and researchers to help develop technological solutions for some of Wayfairs most complex optimization problems with an immediate impact on our operations. We are seeking individuals who can think through creative strategies to develop and execute optimization-based solutions to keep Wayfair efficient as we scale. Many of our projects are in their infancy and do not have pre-existing solutions that overly constrain our approach or design decisions.
Our teams core areas of focus include:
- Inventory management
- Fulfillment center optimization
- Order routing and fulfillment
- Last mile routing
- Network optimization
This individual will be responsible for:
- Overseeing the development of production software / algorithms powering supply chain and operational decisions at Wayfair on a global scale.
- Leading and mentoring a team of operations research scientists on a variety of projects, from initial conception to final deployment.
- Overseeing the enhancement and maintenance of existing solutions.
- Thinking strategically to identify new areas for future improvements within Wayfairs operations.
- Working cross-functionally with business stakeholders, as well as coordinating with other software engineering and data science teams
- Ph.D. or MS in Operations Research, Statistics, Applied Mathematics, Industrial Engineering, Computer Science or related field.
- 4+ years professional experience post advanced degree in Operations Research or a similar role
- Strong knowledge and experience applying optimization methods including linear and mixed-integer programming.
- Experience leveraging optimization solvers like CPLEX or Gurobi.
- The ability to define and structure an approach to loosely-defined problems.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with both technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Professional experience tackling large-scale supply chain problems.
- Experience developing and leading a team of research scientists or analysts.
- Professional experience using Python, C++, Java, or similar.
- Development of software systems.