Mechanical Engineer - Thermal
To reinvent an industry, you have to build the best team.Join Formlabsif you want to bring ground-breaking professional 3D printers to the desktop of every designer, engineer, researcher, and artist in the world.
As aThermal Mechanical Engineerat Formlabsyou willdesign, analyze, prototype and ship thermal systems. From precisely controlling the SLS process in Fuse 1 to managing rate of curing for SLA parts in Form Cure, thermal and mechanical systems are core to producing a high-performance 3D printer.
If you are a mechanical engineerwith a passionfor designing complex thermo-electro-mechanical systems and are looking tocollaborate witha team ofhigh-caliberengineers, we want you to join our team as aMechanical Engineerdealing with complex thermal issues.
- Create mechanical designs with a special focus on thermal requirements and material selection to ensure that all systems meet thermal and mechanical performance requirements
- Identify viable thermal designs, establish system requirements and hardware specifications, and source components for prototypes and shipping products
- Design and analyze heaters, temperature sensors, and insulation, from first-principles hand calculations to detailed numerical modeling with analysis software.
- Manage system temperatures within proper operating ranges through the use of radiation, conduction, and convection for our hardware and control systems
- Build, test, and refine designs in both standalone and system-level test beds.
- Partner withmanufacturing engineers to finalize designs for production
- Can share a strong portfolio of previous work
- Demonstrate a deep practical understanding of fundamental heat transfer principles
- Can perform hand calculations around radiative, convective, and conductive heat transfer
- 3+ years industry experience, with specific experience working on thermal systems
- Have taken a product through an entire life-cycle, from concept through DFM and shipping
- Familiar with a variety of manufacturing techniques including injection molding and sheet metal fabrication
- Prototype and test yourowndesigns
- Strong working knowledge of three-dimensional simulation tools, such as Comsol, Ansys or similar
- Software and electronics
- Programming and scientific computing skills (Python)
- Flexible Vacation
- Premium coverage for medical, dental, and vision plans
- Paid parental leave
- Commuter benefits
- Unlimited 3D prints
We are an equal opportunity employer andvalue diversityin our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Even if you don't check every box, but see yourself contributing, please apply. Help us build an inclusive community that will change the face of 3D printing.