Located 30 minutes outside of Boston, Desktop Metal (NYSE: DM) is pioneering a new generation of additive manufacturing technologies focused on the production of end-use parts. We offer a portfolio of integrated additive manufacturing solutions for engineers, designers and manufacturers comprised of hardware, software, materials and services. Our solutions span use cases across the product life cycle, from product development to mass production and aftermarket operations, and they address an array of industries, including automotive, aerospace, healthcare, consumer products, heavy industry, machine design and research and development. At Desktop Metal, we believe additive manufacturing, commonly referred to as 3D printing, is one of the most exciting and transformational technology innovations of our time.
Desktop Metal is seeking a talented entry level mechanical engineer for our growing Sustaining Engineering team. The Sustaining Engineering team provides continuing engineering support for in-production products and transitional support for new product development.
- Identify and execute design improvement projects for in-production products and in-field retrofits.
- Maintain 3D CAD models and documentation for operations-requested changes, including supplier changes, manufacturing improvements, and end-of-life management.
- Lead cost reduction design efforts for mature products.
- Execute failure analyses and mitigation activities, utilizing industry best practices such as Six Sigma, Lean, and CAPA.
- Work with an interdisciplinary team to analyze manufacturing, field, and customer data in order to identify issues requiring engineering support.
- Review design documentation of New Product Development activities for determination of production readiness.
- Apply a strong analytical approach to the design process, including mechanics, thermals and tolerance analyses.
- Maintain a high level of communications with cross-functional teams, customers, and suppliers.
- Attention to detail and dedication to thoroughness in completed projects.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment while prioritizing multiple competing tasks.
- Strong organizational and time management skills required.
- Ability to resolve complex issues in creative, efficient, and effective ways.
- Ability to apply customer and company-wide perspective to detailed technical decisions.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- 2-5 years of experience in Mechanical Engineering
- BS/MS Mechanical Engineering or equivalent
- Solidworks proficiency
- DFM and DTC
- Knowledge of fluid, pressure, vacuum, electrical, and thermal systems
- Six Sigma
- Experience using PDM and PLM systems
- Hands-on machine assembly and operation experience
At Desktop Metal, innovation is at the core of our DNA. And we believe ground-breaking discoveries are born from diverse teams with unique backgrounds and experiences. We are committed to employing a diverse workforce with equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability.