Simplisafe is looking for a Mechanical Engineer as we scale our Product Design team. In this role, you will help design our next generation of Simplisafe branded home security products. This role is a great opportunity to influence and contribute to a new Product Design team.
We are in the midst of an aggressive hiring plan to fill our needs as we prepare for our next steps as a company. The Product Design team is a primary focus and our Head of Product Design will be building his team from the ground up. As such, you will have an opportunity to make an immediate impact on Simplisafes product design and you will be in a great position to grow within the department as Simplisafe continues to expand.
Today, we are the fastest growing home security company in the country competing against the entrenched giants, like ADT, and the new-to-the-space giants, like Amazon and Google. To compete in this ever-growing IoT home automation security space, we must learn and iterate quickly, work collaboratively, and deliver creatively. In service to this challenge, we are expanding our Product Design team to produce the most cutting-edge designs on the market for our future products.
What youll do:
- Design new-to-the-world product experiences
- Utilize CAD software to design and develop models
- Create product experiences quickly to test with users
- Collaborate with design team and other multidisciplinary teams throughout design process
- Develop, prototype, and assist in development of new Simplisafe products
What youll need to be successful:
- Demonstrated knowledge of mechanisms, materials, and manufacturing processes
- Established proficiency in mechatronics, with previous work highlighting the ability to create electro-mechanical systems
- Comfortable in a shop setting, creating prototypes at varying levels of fidelity
- Openness: Designers need to be flexible and open-minded. You are optimistic, generative, and open to new ideas and ways of working.
- Familiarity with manufacturing environments and processes (machining, injection molding, PCBA development) is a plus
- A minimum of 2 years of experience in product development
- Bachelors degree required, Graduate Degree is preferred
- Experience with CAD (preferably surface modeling) and capable of turning a concept sketch into a 3D database
- Proven track record in field research, and how to translate user insights into design concepts that are both human-centered and technically feasible
- Experience in electronics and/or programming is highly desired
- Experience in Graphic Design or Industrial Design is a plus
Simplisafe is a home security company that is based in Boston, MA which creates and sells self-installed security systems. Our company was founded by Chad and Eleanor Laurens in 2006 when they had several friends whose homes were broken into. Chad and Eleanor started designing Simplisafe products in their own home when they realized there werent any solutions available on the market that were geared towards renters. From these humble beginnings, Simplisafe has become a major competitor in the home security market and was recently acquired by private equity firm Hellman & Friedman.
At Simplisafe, we place an emphasis on a no-ego, collaborative culture. From the top down, we all work together to solve the difficult challenges within the home security and IoT industry. We have recently been named in Built In Bostons Best Places to Work in 2019 list and in Wealthfronts 2019 Career Launching Companies list. Like our products, we are constantly evolving to provide the best employment experience possible. If Simplisafe sounds like a company youd enjoy working for, wed love to hear from you!
Benefits & Perks:
Health, dental and vision coverage - We cover 85% of plans and offer excellent BCBS HMO/PPO Health plans
Unlimited paid time off - To give you the flexibility and work/life balance you seek
401k Matching and Company Equity - To help you prepare for the future
Commuter Pre-Tax Benefits - To help cover the costs of transportation and parking at our Downtown Boston HQ
Beer Fridays, Bagel Thursdays, Bi-Weekly Lunches, Team and Company Outings We know how to have fun! Besides, who doesnt like free food and drinks?!