Manager for Software Engineering
HMH Software Engineering
HMH Software Engineering provides cutting edge, individualized learning experiences to millions of students across the United States. We are as driven by this mission as we are by continuously improving ourselves and the way we work. Our offices are high energy, collaborative bee hives of activity where work is centered on small, autonomous teams that build great software. We trust each other, hold ourselves and our teammates accountable for results, and improve student outcomes with each release.
At HMH we constantly experiment with new approaches and novel ways of solving problems. We often succeed and sometimes stumble – either way we learn and move forward with more confidence than we had the day before. We are as passionate about new technologies and engineering craftsmanship as we are about transforming the EdTech industry itself.
We’re not just looking for hands on a keyboard to pound out code, we’re looking for talented teammates and colleagues who contribute as much as they receive and thrive working with us.
If this sounds like you let’s talk.
The Opportunity - Manager Software Engineering
A Manager Software Engineering directly manages the actions of 7-12 software engineers across several teams. The Engineering Manager engages in mentoring and career development of software engineers, performing code reviews, promoting engineering best practices, as well as working with software engineers and architects to determine best technical solutions. Engineering managers can also participate in recruiting/interviewing engineering candidates, working with product owners to fully
define requirements, and producing reports on a variety of engineering metrics.
· Enable and empower people to do their best work in an environment that encourages collaboration and innovation and fosters development and learning.
· Translate the company’s strategic vision, align group’s work, and help individuals understand their impact on HMH’s success.
· Assess direct reports’ performance and partner on career planning.
· Collaborate and be a catalyst, breaking down complex problems into simple solutions and leading through change.
Manager Software Engineering
· Work collaboratively as part of a software development team producing software that advances our core mission.
· Eagerly learn and apply new cutting edge technologies.
· Contribute to our engineering culture and ever-improving concept of engineering best practices.
· Oversee teams totalling 7-12 engineers by guiding/mentoring team members.
· Promote engineering best practices, monitor team performance and gather team metrics.
Skills & Experience
· 7+ years of experience and a Bachelor's degree in computer science or related field. Experience managing Software Engineers and leading Agile teams.
· Understand the software development process and how their work contributes to the larger goals, know how to make that process better, one step at a time.
· Experience working with a team on a large project, typically working with Agile software development methodologies.
· Experience working with JVM-based languages such as Java
· Knowledge of Spring Boot and web services
· Knowledge of container technologies such as Docker
· Interest in technologies like Mesos, Aurora, Kubernetes
· Interest in adopting new technologies and methodologies such as functional programming, distributed computing, machine learning, advanced data engineering, serverless computing.
· Interest in cloud technologies (AWS/Azure) and systems like Apache Kafka, Apache Spark, Amazon Kinesis, etc.
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (NASDAQ:HMHC) is a global learning company dedicated to changing people’s lives by fostering passionate, curious learners. As a leading provider of pre-K–12 education content, services, and cutting-edge technology solutions across a variety of media, HMH enables learning in a changing landscape. HMH is uniquely positioned to create engaging and effective educational content and experiences from early childhood to beyond the classroom. HMH serves more than 50 million students in over 150 countries worldwide, while its award-winning children's books, novels, non-fiction, and reference titles are enjoyed by readers throughout the world.
For more information, visit http://careers.hmhco.com
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt is an equal employment opportunity employer and participates in E-Verify. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of gender, race/ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, or other protected group status.