Office Tour Photos
Carbonite’s Operations team seeks a hands-on, technical individual with outstanding interpersonal skills to manage a team of DevOps Engineers. The Operations team supports all of Carbonite’s production environment as well as our DEV/TEST/STAGE/PROD pipeline and deployment tools. We are revolutionizing the way we push product into production across our company, following industry best standards for CI and CD.
The first responsibility of the DevOps Manager of Operations is to lead and manage teams working on several different projects. Within our Automation organization, work is completed via Scrum, and there are multiple scrum teams that perform many functions from building automated pipeline tools, building out automated pipelines, monitoring and data tools, public cloud and on prem automation functions, and more. These teams have members in multiple locations both local and international. The DevOps Manager will work internally with other Operations teams including with Product Engineering development and QE teams to build new pipelines to bring new products and features to market.
We believe in doing things right and refactoring when they’re not. We are a close knit, non-dogmatic group that loves working together to solve business problems with technology. We use a Scrum development process and are building some complex products.
To do this you will bring your extensive expertise in continuous delivery and deployment automation to the table and help build tools and pipelines for the Operations and Product Engineering teams that will accelerate their ability to deliver high quality software. You will help us improve reliability by expanding our monitoring from hardware to OS to the application level. You will be part of Operations but you will collaborate with Product Engineering, IT, and InfoSec teams regularly. You also won’t be afraid to roll up your sleeves and dig into production issues to make sure we keep the lights on.
Specific Objectives and Responsibilities:
- Come to work every day with energy and urgency!
- Build and manage engineers on the DevOps scrum teams to meet objectives. This includes developing people to their full potential, fitting people to roles, and building teams that work at maximum velocity.
- Work collaboratively with Engineering Application Development to facilitate successful test implementation and products releases.
- Mentor junior members on DevOps development, testing, and analytical best practices.
- Consciously focus on developing the careers of DevOps Engineers on the team.
- Work enthusiastically with members of the Operations, Product Engineering, InfoSec, and IT teams
- Pursue a rigorous, disciplined approach to software development process and automation
- Drive the Operations team toward automation and deployment best practices
- Work with the Information Security team to design and manage secure solutions
- Develop an understanding of all team members, their skill set, products, and processes.
- Understand our products product, their dependencies, and business impacts
- Develop understanding of relevant processes, technologies, and DevOps infrastructure
- Develop a culture of flexibility, accountability, and ownership
- Learn our workflow tracking process and begin taking over the care and feeding of scrum backlogs, boards, and reporting out on progress
- Fit team members to strengths
- Develop plans to evolve our existing tools across the automation board
- Work with senior technical leaders on assessing and evaluating new tools that would complement existing tools
Resumes are important, but we are looking for a special person:
- BA/BS in Computer Science, Software/Hardware Engineering, or correlated field, or equivalent industry experience
- Experience building and leading distributed teams, either as a manager or technical leader
- 5+ years of technical experience (hardware or software development, QE, database, etc.)
- 5+ years of leadership experience
- Demonstrated track record of a leading a product to success as defined by quantifiable metrics
- High level of energy and passion
- High level of cognitive and emotional intelligence
- Excellent business judgment
- Exposure to Private & Public Cloud experience
While this is not meant to be an individual contributor role, here are the skills we look for in our DevOps Engineers, and any experience in these areas would be a plus:
- Strong automation skills including experience with Chef, Puppet, or Ansible
- Python, Ruby, Powershell, and/or Bash experience
- Prior experience with build and deployment tools
- Artifactory or Kickstart. GitHub, Jenkins, Rundeck are all a plus.
- Strong experience with secret management
- Experience with Public Cloud (AWS or Azure highly preferred)
- Experience working with monitoring tools like Icinga and/or SolarWinds
- Solid understanding of networking (DHCP, PXE, VLANs, Subnets) and of system security best practices
- Understanding of certificates and how to protect secrets during automation
- Administration skills in Windows or Linux (RedHat)
More Jobs From