Why We Exist and What We Do
EditShare exists to simplify storytelling. We enable media professionals to collaborate on projects thanks to our ever-expanding range of innovative products and features, all designed to improve production and unleash creativity. Integration and collaboration are central to all products in our comprehensive range of media management solutions - from ingest to archive.
Why We Need You
EditShare is seeking a highly-talented Lead Storage Engineer eager to drive scrum and agile workflows for our GNU/Linux-based video workflow products in our Boston office. Technologies in our products span the entire computing stack, from low-level kernel modules and optimizations to high-performance distributed storage and network applications, to user-facing cross-platform and web-based client applications. We even run and support our own GNU/Linux distribution!
If you love working on a wide variety of technologies with a small team of motivated engineers, then this may be the job for you.
Problems You’ll Solve
Within the first month:
- Develop an understanding of EditShare’s product offerings
- Build strong relationships with the Engineering and Product teams, lay the groundwork to act as a trusted advisor and coach
Within the first six months:
- Assist in the prioritization of the day-to-day development activities of the Storage Development team within an Agile/Scrum environment
- Provide technical leadership and guidance to team members for project-level architectures and design work
- Collaborate with Product Management and Engineering leadership to ensure clearly defined user stories, product definition, and acceptance criteria.
- Collaborate with the Video, Platform, and Architecture teams to understand and resolve dependencies on product features.
Within the first nine months:
- Support the growth and career development of EditShare software engineers.
- Assist in the architecture and writing of robust, well-tested code for major team initiatives.
- Plan and lead agile scrum meetings, including backlog grooming, sprint planning, and retrospectives.
- Establish and enforce the tools, techniques, principles, and practices of the development organization.
What We’re Looking For
- Python and either C or C++—our principle programming languages with Python preferred
- Experience working as part of a Scrum or other Agile development team in a CI/CD development environment using Git/GitHub as a primary SCM tool
- Experience with storage product development, distributed file systems, Linux, IP networking, and testing in distributed system environments
- Demonstrated experience with Linux, packaging, command line operations, and knowledge of Linux distributions
- Ability to collaborate effectively across multiple geographies using business-standard tools like Slack
- Experience with Redmine or Jira and demonstrated ability to write detailed defects
- Cross-platform development (Windows, MacOS, and Linux)
- Experience with AWS or other cloud-based solutions
- Knowledge of video editing and NLE editing solutions
- Experience with storage performance tools and analysis
How We Work
The spirit at EditShare encompasses customer empathy, humility, winning together, digging deeply, and playing multiple roles. The way our staff meets its challenges makes us what we are and is the reason why EditShare has been such a success since its founding in 2004.
You will need to demonstrate that you can make a difference quickly while embracing Editshare’s performance-driven culture. We’ll give you the help you need to make that happen. Our team has a few common characteristics; if you share these, you’ll fit right in:
- Customer Empathy: We listen first. We believe this allows us to understand the context of the story and respond rapidly with innovative solutions.
- Humility: We recognize that we are stronger as the sum of our parts and respect the value of each individual contribution. We have the courage to do the hard work and learn along the way.
- Dig Deep: We have the curiosity to ask questions until we understand and the integrity to follow through on hard discussions.
- All Around Players: We are all willing and able to step in and play any position. We all own the problem and are willing to quarterback a solution.
- Win Together: We are happy when our customers and our teams succeed. We practice honest communication and respectfully work together to solve complex problems.