Lead Project Manager
The Information Technology organization at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (HMH) is transforming to realize our mission:
Become a leader in HMH’s digital transformation, and as a strategic partner, innovate and deliver highest value, competitive advantage solutions across all corporate and business functions.
Our ambition is to be a digital leader through innovation and develop and deliver leading edge technology such as robotic process automation and artificial intelligence to solve some of HMH’s greatest operational business challenges. Our professionals will have business relevant skills to connect our HMH partners to technologies that propel the businesses to deliver the greatest value for HMH and our customers. We are building a team of IT professionals with an insatiable appetite to learn, a relentless focus on customer service, a technological curiosity toward future possibilities, and a creativity in solving business challenges with leading technologies. Our team will find ways to work together, create a sense of community where it’s safe to take risks and learn together, develop our careers, and all have an opportunity to work on innovative technologies. We will work together, learn together and have fun together. As a team, we will lead HMH’s digital transformation.
The Opportunity – Program Manager, Special Projects
This is a key individual contributor position reporting to the VP, Operations & Enablement. The successful candidate will be an energetic and clear communicator who has experience in large program and project execution. This leader will manage the tactical governance management of the portfolio of IT program and projects. This leader will have outstanding organization skills and adaptive communication skills that facilitate collaboration with IT stakeholders. He or she will develop the tools, roadmaps and processes needed to manage large programs. As a close partner to the VP, Operations & Enablement, the candidate will demonstrate excellent communication skills, judgment, integrity, and leadership. This position is in Boston, MA and will require approximately 25% travel.
Duties & Responsibilities
This person will work closely with the VP, Operations & Enablement to govern and enable excellence in execution for the overall IT portfolio of projects and programs. Duties & responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Manage complex programs with multiple functions, multiple key stakeholders and multiple technologies.
- Effectively communicate status, issues, and decisions at all levels of organization in various formats of communication
- Implement a robust governance structure for program and projects to ensure appropriate visibility across the organizations.
- Work across key IT stakeholder to develop and maintain the tactical roadmap for projects and programs
- Manage dependencies, risks and issues across the portfolio and programs.
- Create scalable processes and tools to facilitate the governance management
- Organize regular management meetings to support the VP Operations & Enablement, develop communication protocols, and address issues impacting progress towards IT goals and business outcomes.
Skills & Experience
This person is a self-motivated individual with excellent team management and organizational skills who possesses:
- BA degree in business, finance, or related discipline, MBA preferred.
- 10+ years of business experience working with senior leadership and executive levels of organizations preferred
- Ability to take high-level ideas, strategies, and ambiguous objectives, and translate them into clear strategic communication artifacts for multi-level audiences – executives to specific team members.
- Strong analytical skills, with the ability to drive structured problem solving and solutions across broad stakeholder groups.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize effectively to deal well with shifting priorities and assignments.
Might be in a stationary position for a considerable time (sitting and/or standing)
The person in this position needs to move about inside office to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc.
Constantly operates a computer and other office productivity machinery, such as a calculator, copy machine, and computer printer
Must be able to collaborate with colleagues via face to face, conference calls, and online meetings
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (NASDAQ:HMHC) is a global learning company dedicated to changing people’s lives by fostering passionate, curious learners. As a leading provider of pre-K–12 education content, services, and cutting-edge technology solutions across a variety of media, HMH enables learning in a changing landscape. HMH is uniquely positioned to create engaging and effective educational content and experiences from early childhood to beyond the classroom. HMH serves more than 50 million students in over 150 countries worldwide, while its award-winning children's books, novels, non-fiction, and reference titles are enjoyed by readers throughout the world.
For more information, visit http://careers.hmhco.com
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt is an equal employment opportunity employer and participates in E-Verify. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of gender, race/ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, or other protected group status.