ezCater is the worlds largest online marketplace for catering a $60+ billion market just in the U.S. Businesspeople use us to find and order great food for meetings and events; restaurants and caterers use us to grow their catering business. Were backed by Insight Partners, Iconiq Capital, Wellington, Lightspeed, and GIC, and in early 2019 were valued at $1.25 billion. COVID slammed us, but we responded by finding new customer segments and seizing the rare opportunity COVID offered: when in life does a very successful operation get a do-over? Come help us power Food For Work even better than we did it the first time.
At ezCater, we care a lot about building insanely helpful products that our customers, caterers, and delivery drivers love to use. As a Lead Designer, you will lead the UX team for our marketplace team, responsible for customer acquisition, ordering, and purchase experience on web and mobile. Youll be a leader on the team tasked with finding and delivering (pun intended) innovative solutions to some of the most complex design challenges in our space. Were proud of how many times the adjective easy appears in our TrustPilot reviews and we think that its both UX and UI that helps get us that reputation come join our team and help us keep those great reviews coming!
When teammates describe you, they say:
- You are a highly empathetic designer that can put yourself in the mindset of the target user. You are hungry to learn more about the users and their pain points leveraging both 1st-hand qualitative research and data and metrics
- You thrive at solving a wide range of complex design challenges, across mobile and desktop, without skipping a beat
- You care deeply about building a quality product and youll go the extra mile to make sure youre not just moving business metrics but also improving the experience overall
- Your knowledge of UI and UX patterns is broad and deep. When teammates and colleagues have a question about a tricky interaction or visual design challenge, they seek you out
- Youre good at prioritizing and helping the designers in your domain do the same
- Youre a valued thought partner to Product and Engineering leaders. You influence the product agenda and drive the design vision and roadmap. Your colleagues in design, research, engineering and PM appreciate your collaborative approach, expertise and the user-centric perspective you bring to your work
- Youre a skilled communicator and presenter whos comfortable working with stakeholders and getting a diverse audience excited about your solutions
- Youre an effective mentor and coach. Your people feel challenged, supported and encouraged to continuously improve
- You can lead a team through complex problem definition and propose conceptual, long term design solutions that meet business needs
- Youre at your best when working as part of a cross-functional team in a fast paced environment. You are comfortable with ambiguity and adjust quickly as business needs change.
In a couple of month, you will be able to:
- Establish a strategic vision for product, interaction, and visual design of the product and work with PMs, engineering leadership and squads to drive incremental work towards that vision
- Manage and curate the product design backlog to capture work needed to improve the overall quality of the product including work that doesnt immediately belong on a particular squads backlog
- Contribute to moving business metrics. You use data to make design decisions (while surrounded by stakeholders and colleagues who believe strongly in the value of user research and data-driven design)
- Communicate effectively with your team and maintain high levels of credibility with stakeholders about your process and the problem youre solving. You dont just make design decisions, but you can speak to them
- Ensure that designers you manage working on the product are designing at an appropriate level of quality and consistent with the vision of the product. You mentor and coach more junior designers and structure work effectively to create right-sized projects for them
- Take the lead on contributing and curating patterns in the design system and sketch symbol library. Document how, when, and why to use patterns and share with designers
- Have a solid grasp of all sides of ezCaters business lines within the marketplace, different customer types, their needs
- Work with the cross domain design and research leadership team to build a happy, energized team, and drive impact of design at ezCater
Youll be able to hit the ground running if you:
- Have 7+ years of product design experience, solving thorny problems with thoughtful solutions
- Have a portfolio that demonstrates a knack for solving complicated problems by designing clean and cohesive experiences, and dependable attention to detail
- You present your process and not just the end result
- Have experience managing designers and/or mentoring designers. More importantly, you want to do more of it
- Have deep empathy for users and a passion for improving their experience
- Can express your thinking at varying levels of fidelity -- from hand sketches to rough prototypes to well crafted high fidelity mockups
- Can speak to the problems youve solved and how your design solutions led to an impact on the business metrics or user behaviors you were trying to drive
- Are skilled at breaking work down into smaller chunks so progress can be made quickly, learnings happen early and often, and work can be effectively distributed across a team
- Are proficient in Sketch and Invision, or other design and prototyping tools. Youre interested in keeping up with the latest tools, and are willing to share your knowledge with the team
- Have experience designing Mobile Apps
- Have soft skills that are as well developed as your design skills
- Are comfortable pivoting quickly when business needs change
- Have a sharp mind, a soft heart and a large funny bone
Bonus if you have:
- Experience working with and contributing to a design system. You see the value in consistent, well-considered components and guidelines, and advocate for the benefits of a high-quality experience
- Experience designing for B2B audiences
- Worked in the restaurant or delivery industry
Starting Salary Range: $128,000-$168,000
What youll get from us:
Youll get a terrifically compelling opportunity, in an environment of radical transparency, open access to all the data, and collaborative colleagues at every level of our organization. Youll also get sane working hours and great flexibility around work/life balance.
Have people in your life of any age who always, often, or sometimes need your help? We make room for that. Have a bad thing or a good thing happen to you? We make room for that, too.
Oh, and youll get all this: Market salary, stock options that youll help make worth a lot, the usual holidays, all-you-can-eat vacation, 401K with ezCater match, health/dental/FSA, long-term disability insurance, remote-hybrid work from our awesome Boston or Denver offices OR your home OR a mixture of both home and office (you choose!), a tremendous amount of responsibility and autonomy, wicked awesome co-workers, cupcakes (and many more goodies) once we get back to our offices, and knowing that you helped get this rocket ship to the moon.
ezCater is an equal opportunity employer. We embrace humans of every background, appearance, race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, and disability status. At the same time, we do not employ jerks, even brilliant ones.