Office Tour Photos
We are a leading data analytics company that services some of the largest political, advocacy, and commercial organizations in the country. Applecart has led polling, targeting, and analytics efforts for Presidential campaigns, major ballot initiatives, Congressional races and campaigns at every level of the ballot. In order to help organizations that don’t often have the benefit of a large grassroots following or clear demographic coalitions on their side, we developed the Social Graph -- a database that identifies more than 17 billion social relationships between over 250 million Americans. We have developed a series of proprietary data products that use the Social Graph to help various candidates, causes, and companies counterbalance their opposition through innovative targeting, polling, and voter mobilization tools.
About the Role
As a Lead Data Scientist at Applecart, you will have the opportunity to create data-driven products in the domains of politics and advocacy. This role is part individual contributor, part manager, where you will work with business stakeholders to design data driven products and lead a team of junior data scientists and data engineers to productionize them. You will also advise data analysts on how to optimally implement better targeting strategies on behalf of our campaigns, and analyze our impact to identify avenues of further improvement. You will deliver the results of your analysis to Applecart leadership and, on occasion, deliver it directly to clients, both of which would involve translating for a non-technical audience. You will contribute to our data enrichment efforts, which involve acquiring new data, resolving entities within and across datasets, and using said data to improve our social graph.
Who You Are
- You possess a Masters in Science, Engineering, or a Quantitative Social Science field and have 4+ years of professional experience in applied statistics and predictive modeling (or PhD in same fields with 3+ years experience)
- You are fluent in SQL and at least one of Python or R, including common DS tools (e.g. scikit-learn, mice, caret, XGBoost)
- You have expert knowledge with developing, monitoring and maintaining supervised learning models
- You have experience in experimental design (A/B and multivariate) and causal analysis
- You have a significant interest in US electoral politics
- You can understand business context and identify new data-driven products that provide direct business value
- You have a demonstrated track record explaining data science concepts to executive non-technical stakeholders
- You have a proven track record mentoring junior to mid-level data scientists and/or data analysts, managing them on projects and providing technical guidance and best practices in data science
- You have previously built large data science products from scratch and maintained those products through the entire software development lifecycle at a growth-stage startup
- You have contributed to a collaborative codebase
- You have conducted advanced analytics using survey data
- You have experience analyzing data specific to US electoral politics, or you have previous work experience in politics
- You have experience in the marketing and ad-tech domain
- You have written high quality, reusable code in Python
- You have experience with PySpark
More About Applecart
Beyond our robust political and advocacy business, we are a venture-backed technology company that has received significant funding from everyone from global sports and entertainment leader, William Morris Endeavor to senior executives at Twitter and Yelp. Over nearly 7 years of operating, we have powered some of the most sophisticated and successful political and advocacy campaigns in the country. These have ranged from Gov. John Kasich’s 2016 U.S. presidential campaign and Rep. Conor Lamb’s surprise 2018 special election victory to working with Boeing, Blackstone, KKR, and several of the largest bipartisan education reform organizations in the United States. Our work has been featured by Bloomberg BusinessWeek, The Washington Post, The Associated Press, USA Today, Politico, and The Colbert Report.
More Jobs From