iOS Staff Engineer
Wayfairs founders, Steve Conine and Niraj Shah, kick-started their careers as engineers- turned-entrepreneurs, growing an e-commerce business over several years with an exceptional mission: Everyone should live in a home they love. Our Software Engineering organization drives this by finding real-world solutions to complex business challenges facing customers and stakeholders every day. Our global teams move fast, build to scale, and approach each opportunity with agility and creativity.
Shopping for the home is often overwhelming. Wayfair is an extreme case its visited by two million people daily, shopping across more than 10 million products: Home furnishings, dcor, home improvement, housewares, and more. Our software engineering teams work hard to conceal the complexity of this experience. Every customer should come away feeling like theyve found the perfect item for them. Shopping for the home should be exciting, and were the team that makes that happen.
As a founder-led company with a global footprint, we continue to look for pragmatic, innovative problem solvers to join our Engineering team. If you are truly passionate about technology and can move across the stack to craft solutions for customers, this role may be for you.
What Will You Do?
- Addressing key areas of architectural vulnerability across our codebase.
- Leading development for complex project initiatives including new apps, migrations, and increased automation.
- Defining best practices and coding standards across the entire team
- Reviewing code and providing guidance for other code reviewers participating in our release approval process.
- Working with designers and product managers in Wayfairs journey towards being a mobile-first development organization.
- Anticipating areas for improvement and investment, and highlighting these for inclusion in a teams project roadmap.
- Evaluate other frameworks and libraries for inclusion in our dev process.
- Contribute to open source projects.
- Work across fullstack, frontend, infrastructure, and Android to improve collaboration across tech stacks.
- Give back to the tech community by presenting talks at conferences and tech meetups.
How will you be challenged?
As a staff developer you will be a technical leader setting the direction for one of the largest Swift development teams in Boston. As we continue to grow, we have been tackling challenges of launching and supporting multiple apps, modularizing our code, and achieving feature parity across Android, web, and mobile web. We seek architects who are comfortable leading these efforts and building on the existing foundation of our award winning Wayfair app.
- We won a Webby for our genre-defining use of ARKit to help our customers find the best pieces to fit in their home.
- Our staff developers have been working together in re-architecting our apps into feature and infrastructure modules to help our team scale and reuse code within our growing ecosystem of native apps.
- We worked with marketing, backend and design to build a dynamic, scalable promotions system for supporting dozens of flash sales, visited by millions of customers shopping on our WayDay promotional holiday.
- We have been adopting GraphQL to provide more freedom and flexibility in optimizing our interactions with our backend APIs.
Who You Are:
- Mastery of Swift, an eagerness to share their expertise with others, and humility to always know that they can learn something new.
- At least 5+ years of professional mobile development experience on publically available apps supported by RESTful web services.
- At least 1+ year leading teams in a senior capacity (tech lead, architect)
- Have led the development of at least one app from ideation to launch and post launch.
- Had an active role in shaping the culture and technical standards of your engineering team.
- Experience working with different architectures (MVVM, MVC, VIPER, etc)
- Hands-on coding experience with PHP, SQL, and/or GraphQ
- Familiarity with building retail ecommerce app.
- Experience with developing on Android as well as iOS, and championing efforts to collaborate across stacks.