Office Tour Photos
Head of Engineering, Recommendations
Wayfairs Recommendations team provides the core platforms and services that allow our customers to discover and buy the products they love by serving the right content to every customer on every touchpoint. Our systems leverage Wayfairs extensive customer and product data to deliver trusted and valuable recommendations and results in real time using custom machine learning models. Specifically, we develop the platforms that support two types of problems:
- Product Recommendations & Sorts: We help customers navigate an infinite aisle of SKUs by serving the most relevant products on all channels, while also using sort as a lever to strategically drive business outcomes.
- Content Recommendations: We have common technology that can sort any existing asset like e-mail banners, subject lines, sale events, widgets on the homepage, and any net-new content we may develop in the future. We can determine the optimal layout for any page or marketing creative and populate with the optimal content.
Our mission-critical services are called over a billion times a day. Recommendations is a core competency for Wayfair and a high priority lever were using to drive outsized growth and profitability.
The Head of Engineering for Recommendations will be responsible for growing and leading high performance engineering teams. We are looking for a seasoned engineering leader who has driven the design, development, and deployment of world-class systems to support machine learning and big data systems at scale and is excited to define Wayfair's efforts in this space for the next phase of its growth. Your work will reach all of Wayfairs active customers across our sites, apps, and marketing channels, ultimately creating best-in-class shopping experiences for our customers. In this highly strategic role, you will partner closely with internal stakeholders across the business and executive leadership. This role presents significant technical, analytical, and leadership opportunities with enormous potential for business impact. You will also have the opportunity to dive deep into the technical details of the platforms while simultaneously defining and communicating front-line vision as a key leader within our organization.
What You'll Do
- Lead, develop, mentor, and grow a software engineering team of 25+ across all levels of seniority.
- Build low-latency, high availability microservices to support serving personalized recommendations through any touchpoint on any placement, on-site or off-site.
- Develop technology that enables our data scientists and analysts to quickly train, configure, and deploy world-class machine learning models, enabling rapid prototyping, iteration, and analytics.
- Partner closely with product and data science leadership to define the vision and strategy around Recommendations
- Act as a trusted mentor and advisor to others within our technology organization, specifically around optimization, process definition, and execution
- Leverage data to understand risks, priorities and scope of business objectives and develop near term goals and strategic vision
- Execute on new ideas that have an outsized, significant and lasting impact
- Show a passion for innovation and results
What You'll Need
- 10+ years of experience in engineering leadership, with preference for candidates with a mix of start-up and large-company experience (and/or candidates who have started new products/initiatives within large companies)
- Strong history of building and leading engineering teams that can innovate rapidly and scale with the business
- Demonstrated experience building scalable advertising solutions quickly
- Previous track record of individual contribution within software engineering
- Entrepreneurial spirit with a bias for action and desire to build in rapidly changing environments
- Excellent organizational and analytical skills with hypothesis- driven problem solving and turning data into actionable insights
- Superior communication skills with demonstrated experience navigating a complex organization and generating buy-in for plans
- Experience with high-growth environments at scale
Wayfair is one of the worlds largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, were reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If youre looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then youll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking. No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. Were a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair and world for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. Thats why were proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.
More Jobs From