Head of Product Operations
Who We Are
Wayfair believes everyone deserves a home they love, and that furnishing your home should be a source of fun, not anxiety. Our consumer-facing technology team (called Storefront) plays a crucial role in making this vision a reality, by building all of Wayfairs consumer-facing websites and Apps across all of Wayfairs retail brands and geographies.
Were tackling a wide array of fascinating, incredibly difficult problems - like helping a massive, rapidly growing global customer base efficiently find the perfect products from our catalog of >10M items (with the majority of traffic on mobile), building 2-sided marketplaces to connect consumers with interior designers and contractors, and leveraging A/R and Computer Vision to help customers visualize products in their space. We have a modern tech stack including sophisticated capabilities around AI, data science, multivariate testing and personalization. And were a highly collaborative, supportive team that values learning, psychological safety and intentional career development.
At the same time were growing and solidifying as a department. Storefront currently has 800 people across Engineering, Product Management, Experience Design and Analytics, and will grow north of 1,200 in the next few years. Our leadership team focuses heavily on three things: (1) ensuring that were creating significant and ever-increasing impact for Wayfairs customers and business, (2) attracting the best tech talent anywhere to join us and (3) cultivating a work environment that earns our team members loyalty and hard work by helping each of them learn and develop in ways that are meaningful to them, surrounded by smart, trustworthy and collaborative teammates within a company that is winning and has massive growth ahead.
What Youll Do
Were looking for an Associate Director, Product Operations. Reporting to and working side-by-side with our Head of Product, and engaging with senior leaders across Wayfair, you will play a crucial role in helping both our Product team and the broader Storefront department thrive, by ensuring we remain a well-oiled machine as we scale.
While we have some flexibility in terms of specific focus areas, and the right leader will come up with her/his own sense of where to lean in to create impact, key responsibilities will include:
- Serving as a strategic thought partner to our Head of Product and the Storefront leadership team - Form and share your perspectives on how we can improve on a wide variety of topics (e.g., operating model, team culture, cross-department collaboration, transparency). Help us identify blindspots, surface new opportunities, remain aware of issues affecting team productivity and/or morale. In this role you will have full access to and transparency from our Head of Product, and exposure to senior leaders across Wayfair.
- Helping us communicate clearly to internal and external audiences - Hone, articulate and craft the messaging around our departments vision, strategy, impact, learnings and roadmap. Figure out and refine over time the most effective channels, media, emphasis and tone for each key audience. Hands-on create strategic communications (e.g., Board of Directors deck, internal exec meeting decks, department all-hands materials, monthly department newsletter). Create processes to efficiently generate quality content as we scale.
- Keeping our internal team operations running smoothly and effectively - Run and optimize our quarterly OKR + roadmap planning cycle. Drive agenda and content creation for monthly Product team meetings, quarterly full-department meetings and annual strategy offsite. Maintain our internal wiki with up-to-date and relevant content, and an engaging internal team blog to help keep the team connected, energized and aligned.
- Driving implementation of strategic cross-cutting initiatives - Ensure alignment around, transparency into and crisp execution follow-through for cross-department initiatives (e.g., new employee onboarding programs, team culture initiatives, cross-department resource planning, interview certification process, undergrad rotation program).
- Deepening our connective tissue with the tech community outside of Wayfair - Engage with the broader tech community outside of Wayfair, both to strengthen Wayfairs brand as a top tech employer and to enrich the ecosystems in which we operate. Includes partnership strategy, potentially producing a tentpole annual Product/Tech event, employer brand content creation among other activities.
What Youll Need
Crisp comms - you craft clear, compelling, polished messaging that resonates with a wide variety of audiences, in a wide variety of formats (e.g., slide presentations, prose memos, workshops / meetings etc).
Systems thinking - Storefront is a system that produces business impact through world-class web and App experiences and highly motivated, fulfilled, bonded employees; you continually find ways to make the system more effective, efficient, resilient and scalable.
Process wizardry - you manage complex cross-functional processes and initiatives precisely, efficiently and crisply.
Relationship building - throughout your career youve built trust-based relationships with people with a wide variety of personality types, seniority levels and functional disciplines.
Results delivery - you have proven experience developing a strategy and driving results across teams in an ambiguous environment while leveraging data from a multitude of sources to tell a story and impact the overarching strategy.
Strategic thinking - you can think both creatively/abstractly, and analytically/quantitatively. Youre as comfortable hopping up to a whiteboard to break down a problem in a group meeting as you are drawing insights from raw data.
Entrepreneurship - you develop your own ideas of how to be most effective for the broader business; help us identify new opportunities to work better, smarter, faster or all three.
Winning approach - youre an excellent listener, a confidant and a collaborator. Youre likable, engaging, humble, perceptive and constantly seeking to learn. Youre innately curious. Youre intrinsically motivated, energetic, resourceful, resilient, comfortable with ambiguity, intellectually (and in all other ways) honest, curious, not afraid to speak your mind, and ambitious.
This role may be perfect for ...
An Associate Principal (or equivalent) at top consulting, investment firm, or operating company.
A COO/VP Ops/VP Strategy at an early stage company looking to gain experience on a significantly larger team, in a rapidly growing public company setting.
Someone with 8+ years experience creating measurable impact in a company with a rigorous performance culture, in a role requiring strong strategic thinking, cross-functional partnership, crisp communication and complex initiative management.
About Wayfair Inc.
Wayfair believes everyone should live in a home they love. Through technology and innovation, Wayfair makes it possible for shoppers to quickly and easily find exactly what they want from a selection of more than 10 million items across home furnishings, dcor, home improvement, housewares and more. Committed to delighting its customers every step of the way, Wayfair is reinventing the way people shop for their homes - from product discovery to final delivery.
TheWayfairfamily of sites includes:
- Wayfair, an online destination for all things home
- Joss & Main, where beautiful furniture and finds meet irresistible savings
- AllModern, unbelievable prices on everything modern
- Birch Lane, a collection of classic furnishings and timeless home dcor
- Perigold, unparalleled access to the finest home dcor and furnishings
Wayfair generated $5.7 billion in net revenue for the twelve months ended June 30, 2018. Headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts with operations throughout North America and Europe, the company employs more than 9,700 people.