The Head of Marketplace Strategy is responsible for the successful growth and integration of commodity/generic products into the Wayfair marketplace. They will lead development and deployment of an end-to-end growth plan for our commodity catalog, based on a deep understanding of our commodity product base and related customer needs & expectations. This person will act as a central leader for commodity products, partnering with cross functional teams, including category management, algorithms, data science, sort, and Wayfair Basics, to define a scalable approach to our commodity products, and subsequently ensure tight execution of the plan. Success will involve a transition to a scalable and fluid marketplace strategy for commodity items.
- Develop and own the commodity product catalog strategy
- Leverage view of competitive landscape and treatment of commodity items to inform approach
- Understand commodity product specific merchandising requirements for customers
- Develop point of view on commodity product integration with pricing, demand fact agenda, and self serve tooling
- Develop exposure tactics relevant for commodity products within product sort and other exposure lanes, including how to treat similar product variants populating the same market
- Understand customer needs within key classes, and how to utilize product substitution, badging, real-time auctions, media, and demand consolidation to maximize profitability
- Integrate our Wayfair Basics brand into the strategy
- Develop point of view on unit economics associated with commodity products and short term tactics impact on long term Wayfair customer CLV
- Act as single point owner for execution of strategy
- Lead or partner with relevant platform teams on any pilot or consumer response experimentation agenda; work through experimental proof points where necessary to supplement business intuition / hypotheses
- Leverage Wayfair datasets and analytics to shape strategy
- Coordinate the rollout of above strategy based on aligned-on path forward, prioritizing and staging cross functional & platform team efforts
- Influence the technology agenda across systems & platforms necessary to enable commodity specific requirements
- Structure and partner with EU and CA teams to pull strategy through across geographies
- Own communications of learnings and progress against plan development and execution to the executive team
- Maintain end-to-end view of program status, roadblocks, and risks
- Develop analysis and reporting on key performance indicators
Ideal Qualities and Experience:
- 10+ years of work experience in analytical, consulting, technology, startup, or strategy roles
- MBA preferred but not required
- Bachelors degree with a strong academic record in economics, math, statistics, engineering, business or related field is a plus
- Experience leading analytical, consulting, or other client-facing teams
- Strong communication skills ability to summarize and share results with executives
- Strong quantitative skills ability to develop analytical methodologies and assumptions, use data software to conduct the analyses, and synthesize findings
- Strong business acumen ability to understand how various parts of the business interact, and can identify and approach problems from a customer perspective
- Ability to learn and act quickly, make decisions and draw conclusions in the face of ambiguity
- Intellectually curious, high energy, with a strong work ethic and a desire to work in a fast-paced, high stakes team environment
- Technical in nature; Advanced Excel skills and prior experience or an interest in SQL
About Wayfair Inc.
Wayfair is one of the worlds largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, were reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If youre looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then youll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking.
No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. Were a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair and world for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. Thats why were proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.