Office Tour Photos
The Wayfair Data Science & Machine Learning team builds algorithmic products that impact some of the most important areas across the business: Customer Sales & Service, Marketing, Merchandising, Storefront Personalization and more. The team consists of over 150 Data Scientists and Machine Learning Engineers who work closely with their partner business functions and other teams within Engineering to build & implement machine learning solutions to evolve how Wayfair does its business. Wayfair is a very data-driven company and the Data Science & Machine Learning team plays a key role in business strategy across multiple functions.
A large untapped area of opportunity at Wayfair is in applying machine learning in the Supply Chain space. We are looking for a leader to work closely with teams & business leaders in the Supply Chain organization, build a machine learning and computer vision strategy with an eye towards creating disproportionate impact to the business and lead the team that executes against this. This is a greenfield opportunity, where we expect the incoming leader to fully create the vision and build engagement with it. In terms of projects, we expect early focus to be on (1) using image & video to quantify and optimize warehouse and truck utilization and (2) using machine learning to better understand damage that occurs to shipments in the supply chain & drivers to resolve it. Both have potentially multimillion impact to the bottom line and there are dozens more for this leader to explore.
What You'll Do
- Partner closely with teams in Supply Chain to map out opportunity areas for machine learning and computer vision to be leveraged
- Build a roadmap for the Data Science & Machine Learning team to capture these opportunities
- Generate excitement & support from the executive team - this will be crucial since this work will be a significant cross-team effort
- Hire, develop & manage a team of data scientists and machine learning engineers to execute your vision
- Leverage your work to create dramatic change in the supply chain - impact business KPIs, influence your cross-functional partners to utilize the products you produce as decision support tools that ultimately change how they operate
- Be a thought leader outside of your domain, for both business teams as well as data scientists
What You'll Need
- Proven experience and passion for working across functions and with c-level leaders, synthesizing multiple points of view and owning a coherent action plan, all with a strong business acumen and ability to influence others
- Highly collaborative & transparent style of working - we value working closely together to get to the right solutions
- Strong communication skills with an ability to distill complex ideas into simple explanations for non-technical stakeholders
- 5+ years of direct management experience in engineering & data science space, with a bias towards creating supportive & highly engage team environments
- 7+ years of data science / machine learning engineering exposure, with significant experience of building end-to-end solutions that have impacted business results in clear ways
- Experience with computer vision a plus, but not necessary (e.g. training image classification, object detection algorithms)
- Masters or Ph.D in relevant field strongly preferred
- Experience with experimental design and/or statistical analysis to drive business decision making
- Mix of hands-on and indirect management experience with multiple relevant technologies: Python, PySpark / Scala Spark, Tensorflow / Keras, AirFlow, etc.
Wayfair is one of the worlds largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, were reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If youre looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then youll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking. No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. Were a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair and world for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. Thats why were proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information
More Jobs From