Tulip, the Manufacturing App Platform, is empowering the worlds leading manufacturers to improve the productivity of their teams, the quality of their output, and the efficiency of their operations. Born out of the MIT Media Lab to bring better interfaces to frontline workers in manufacturing, excellent design is in our DNA.
With Tulips no-code platform, manufacturers can empower those closest to operations to digitally transform their shop floors and gain real-time visibility into the people, machines, and processes involved in production--all in a matter of days. Manufacturers of all sizes, across industries including consumer electronics, aerospace and defense, contract manufacturing, automotive, apparel, medical devices, and more, have implemented Tulips intuitive platform to solve some of the most pressing challenges in manufacturing: digitizing paper-based processes, integrating industrial IoT (IIoT) technologies with legacy factory machines, and capturing and analyzing real-time production floor data.
The company is headquartered in Somerville, MA, with offices in the UK and Germany. It has been recognized as a Forbes IoT Startup to Watch, Gartner Cool Vendor, IDC Innovator, Frost and Sullivan Entrepreneurial Company of the year, and a World Economic Forum Technology Pioneer.
The role is a huge opportunity to continue growing our world-class design team and set the design vision across all our products - from the no-code app builder to our analytics engine, all the way to our IoT hardware. Youll be working closely with our product managers and engineering teams to build a category-defining product that brings consumer-grade experiences to enterprise customers and is disrupting the way manufacturing works. If you are up for the challenge, we want to hear from you.
- You are an exceptional designer who wants to lead and grow our talented design team.
- You are passionate about the potential of digital-physical systems to augment people and bringing human-centric design to an industry that has lagged behind
- You want to redefine the way an entire industry works
What skills do I need?
- 5+ years of industry experience as a product designer with experience creating design systems and leading design for large-scale software projects
- Passion for effective mentoring and coaching; you love to help others grow!
- Experience leading and managing operations of a design team (e.g. critiques, team processes, etc.)
- Strong in strategic thinking and communication. You can leverage storytelling to craft clear narratives of where projects could go and help influence teams.
- Team player who enjoys collaborating with product, engineering, and other stakeholders throughout the product development process.
- Growth mindset. You like taking risks, improving yourself, and others.
- Expert proficiency in Figma, Storybook, and other design tools.
- Web development skills (HTML/CSS/JS) and hands-on skills are a plus.
- Previous experience leading a team a plus, but not a requirement.
- Lead. Coach and mentor a team of exceptional designers and help them grow to the next level by providing design feedback and developing the strategic skills to weigh tradeoffs between business, technical, competitive, and customer contexts.
- Design. Set the design vision and strategy for our platform. Own the Tulip design system, develop Tulips design standards and vision, ensuring the team delivers cutting edge UX/UI, user flows, user journeys, taxonomies/folksonomies, wireframes, prototypes, detailed mockups.
- Inspire: Cultivate a conducive environment for great design by helping with team processes like user research, critiques, etc, for all necessary deliverables. Foster a great design culture within the design team and across the company.
- Operations: Work with product managers and engineering to establish objectives, high-level strategies, and key results for the design team. Understand the design needs of large-scale software and hardware projects and break them down into bite-sized job stories. Ensure the team and projects are well planned, scoped, and organized to ensure their timely delivery..
- Collaboration. Identify opportunities to improve how we all work together, and the relationships both within and outside of the team. Work with product managers and engineering to ensure implementations meet design standards. Integrate a highly decentralized team into a coherent and unified continuous product design process
- Product and Design team
- Engineering team
Our design stack:
- Adobe Creative Cloud
This is a full-time role based in Somerville, MA (though were remote through the pandemic).
Working At Tulip
We are building a strong, diverse team that values hard work, families, and personal well being.
Benefits of working with us include:
- Direct impact on product and culture
- Company equity
- Competitive benefits package including Health, Dental, Vision, Short-term Disability, Long-term Disability, Life Insurance, Health Reimbursement Account (HRA), Commuter Benefits, Parental Leave, and 401k
- Flexible work schedule and unlimited vacation policy
- Virtual company events and happy hours
- Fitness subsidies
We are an equal opportunity employer and building a diverse team is our top priority. At Tulip, we celebrate all. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Help us build an inclusive community that will transform manufacturing.