Hardware Product Engineer
Starry is reinventing how people connect to the internet. Our mission focuses on two things first, on being an internet service provider committed to simplicity, transparency, and delight, and second, on providing high-speed internet to underserved communities not just locally, but with global aspirations.. We approach our mission with a cutting-edge wireless technology, user experience designed to delight, and a diverse and intellectually curious company culture.
Why you'll love working here:
Starry is a fast-growing company with incredible ambition to build new markets, and new products and services. At Starry, autonomy and creativity are rewarded; youll have control of your own time and the opportunity to develop your ideas and initiatives. Our team is tightly-knit, highly collaborative, and very driven. We value each others contributions and ideas.
Who were looking for:
Starry is seeking an experienced Hardware Product Engineer to join our rapidly growing organization. You will provide technical leadership on new Starry products that are used by customers in the home, such as the next-generation Starry Station Wi-Fi router. You will have a key role in meeting Starrys customer care mission by delivering a high quality user experience. Starry prides itself in carefully managing the delivery of gigabit-capable wireless internet. To that end, we custom design our hardware from end-to-end, including: the Starry Station Dual Band router, networking equipment that leverages existing in-home cabling, and point-to-multipoint wireless systems for last mile internet delivery.
You will hold the responsibility of representing Starrys technical interests in projects with overseas design partners, from initial vendor selection through mass production and ongoing factory support. Our partners will be responsible for the day-to-day technical work such as schematic capture, board layout and mechanical design. You will be responsible for ensuring our partners are tracking towards the high level goals of the product from a technical, cost, and schedule perspective. Our ideal candidate will have had success designing, manufacturing, and shipping consumer, network and/or wireless products at medium volumes, and has demonstrated the ability to deliver a high quality user experience while balancing project and product cost and schedule.
What youll do:
- Write product architectural documents, drawings and RFQs and work with external design partners to clarify questions they may have on such documents
- Work with Starry internal Project Management, Industrial Design and Engineering (Firmware, Antenna, Thermal, Mechanical) teams to align requirements and internal deliverables with external design partners
- Prepare analysis of design trade-offs throughout the product process both at a high and detailed level to present to product cross-functional team for review
- Read and analyze product qualification and test reports from design partners and provide feedback to partners on changes required before approval
- Work with Starry internal Supply Chain and Manufacturing teams to optimize product cost, manufacturability and reliability while meeting technical and design requirements
- Coordinate third-party verification testing to confirm products meet Starry internal, industry standard, and regulatory requirements
- Work with Starry Manufacturing, RMA and Installer teams to understand and find root-cause on any failures found in the field
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Systems Engineering, Computer Science, or a related engineering technical field, or equivalent work experience
- 5+ years experience in consumer, networking and/or wireless product design and manufacturing at medium to large scale
- Experience with FCC Part 15, Wi-Fi Alliance, NRTL (UL/ETL/etc) testing
- Ability to obtain a business visa or eligible for visa-free travel to Taiwan, China and South Korea
- Ability to travel to Asia 2-5 times per year for a duration of 1-2 weeks per trip
- Ability to join conference calls with overseas partners during their business hours (evening US Eastern time) one to two days per week.
We work hard, so we take care of each other and try to enjoy ourselves along the way. We have:
- Premium medical, dental, and vision coverage with no employee contribution required
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave
- Catered lunches every Monday & drinks during our monthly company meeting
- Wine, beer, and snacks on hand
- Secure bike storage in the building
- Private shower facilities in our office
- Free gym in the building
- Groups for skiing, biking, running, climbing, stretching, shuffleboard, darts, and more
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee.
Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the United States. Qualified Applicants will not require employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future for employment in the United States.Starry, Inc. is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any applicant because of race, creed, color, age, national origin, ancestry, religion, gender, sexual orientation, disability, genetic information, veteran status, military status, application for military service or any other class protected by state or federal law.