Casa Systems, Inc. (NASDAQ: CASA) is a leading provider of next-generation ultra-broadband distributed and virtualized architectures in mobile, fixed telecom and cable networks. As the original supplier of commercially deployed CCAP systems that delivers voice, video, and data over a single port, Casa continues a tradition that brings leading edge solutions to hundreds of service providers around the world. At Casa Systems, our mission is to deliver ultra-broadband solutions that keep families, communities and the world connected. We harness our passion for innovation to drive technological solutions that allow service providers to do amazing things that improve the way we live.
We are seeking to hire a General Counsel to join our team based at our Corporate Headquarters in Andover, MA, USA which is located about 30 minutes north of Boston. This position reports to our CEO and offers an opportunity to serve as the point person on a broad range of legal and business matters in an entrepreneurial, fast-paced environment.
The General Counsel will impact the organization by responsibly leading corporate strategic and tactical legal initiatives and providing global in-house legal services to the Company’s leadership team and employees. The General Counsel provides senior management with effective advice on company strategies and their implementation, manages the legal function, and obtains and oversees the work of outside counsel. The General Counsel is directly involved in complex business transactions in negotiating critical contracts. The General Counsel will interpret laws, rulings and regulations to advise on legal matters including contracts, strategic transactions, employment law, legal compliance, and corporate governance. The General Counsel will also advise the corporation on pending and threatened litigation and other legal proceedings and will be responsible for managing outside counsel.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Serve as key lawyer/legal advisor on all major business transactions, including acquisitions, divestitures and joint ventures.
- Assume ultimate responsibility for ensuring that the company conducts its business in compliance with applicable SEC et al. laws and regulations.
- Advise on legal aspects of the company’s financing, including assessing and advising on current and future business structures and legal entities.
- Participate in the definition and development of corporate policies, procedures and programs and provides continuing counsel and guidance on legal matters and on legal implications of all matters.
- Judge the merits of major court cases filed against or on behalf of the company, works with the appropriate executive(s) to define a strategic defense and approves settlements of disputes where warranted.
- Structure and manage the Company’s internal legal function and staff.
- Oversee the selection, retention, management and evaluation of all outside counsel.
- Review and negotiate all forms of contracts and third party agreements with customers, vendors and partners such as sales contracts, license agreements, royalty agreements, supply agreements, services agreements, statements of work, subcontractor agreements, maintenance and support agreements, distribution agreements, confidentiality agreements and collaboration agreements.
- Provide guidance on legal issues and risk mitigation strategies relating to corporate contracts.
- Provide timely, high-quality analysis and pragmatic advice on legal and business issues.
- Create, review, manage and maintain the company’s contract and agreement templates.
- Engage in pre-litigation activities, and supervise and manage outside counsel in litigation activities.
- Provide proactive legal and business counseling on a broad range of topics including general commercial law, contract interpretation, employment law and corporate governance.
- Support the Human Resource Department on global employment matters and related agreements.
- Manage global outside counsel resources, projects and relationships.
- Assist in the establishment of and manage on-going compliance for international subsidiaries.
- Create and/or review and provide guidance on company policies.
- Provide employee training on issues related to employment and contract law and compliance.
- Maintain legal files and set up process and systems for contract administration and compliance.
- Manage corporate insurance policies and related processes.
- Lead or participate in special projects and perform other duties as requested by the Executive Team.
Competencies: Customer/Client Focus. Collaboration Skills. Communication Proficiency. Leadership. Problem Solving/Analysis. Thoroughness. Time Management. Supervisory Responsibility.
- Juris Doctorate degree from an ABA accredited law school. Admission in good standing to a State bar, license must be current and remain current during employment term.
- 10+ years of experience as a practicing litigation lawyer, preferably initially with a prominent national law firm before moving to an in-house position.
- 5+ years of experience with complex commercial and/or corporate transactions including distribution, sales and services agreements, and intellectual property arrangements.
- Global legal experience required.
- Public company experience preferred.
- Additional generalist experience with corporate governance, stock options and equity, global human resources and product development is also required.
- Experience working on matters of corporate governance and with a board of directors.
- Experience managing other attorneys and supervising support staff in a corporation; experience with cost-effective management of outside legal resources.
- Familiarity and understanding of Sarbanes-Oxley and legislation and related FASB revenue recognition guidelines.
- Experience in directing strategy and managing complex IP litigation cases.
- Broad, overview experience in intellectual property law, including patent law, licensing of IP rights and IP due diligence.
- Exposure to or familiarity with the following areas of law: securities, antitrust, computer law and privacy.
- Experience dealing with the SEC.
- Able and willing to travel up to 25% to carry out the responsibilities of the role.
- Takes ownership of projects and relationship building to find creative solutions to challenging problems.
- Has 'can-do' attitude, not afraid to “get in the weeds” and enjoys being a team player.
- Excellent negotiating, drafting and counseling skills, with experience resolving conflict between groups with opposing perspectives, agendas or priorities.
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills with ability to communicate effectively with customers/clients and employees of all levels of the company.
- Strong attention to detail and high quality work product.
- High level of discretion when handling sensitive and highly confidential information.
- High level of initiative, self-sufficiency and self-direction.
Casa Systems, Inc. participates in the E‑Verify program. Casa Systems is committed to fostering a diverse workforce and inclusive work environment free from unlawful employment discrimination and without barriers to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO).
Andover, Massachusetts, United States
More Jobs From