Jump off the venture-capital rollercoaster to work with creative, collaborative people to make an actual difference in our customers' days. Wistia engineers collaborate with research, design and product to deeply understand customer needs and build simple and easy-to-use features for real customers at a profitable business driven by much more than the short-term. We're working to help empower small- and medium-sized businesses to confidently market in ways previously off limits to all but the biggest brands. Join us.
- Collaborate cross-functionally (primarily with research, design and product) to understand the needs of the customer and deliver a simple and easy-to-use solution.
- Work comfortably across front-end and back-end development. We mainly use Ruby on Rails and React, but we are not wedded to them, nor do we expect engineers coming in to know our particular frameworks.
- Balance technical considerations with product and business thinking. You aim for the best value, not for perfection.
- Ship features and deliver value to customers under the constraints of a profitable business where long-term company thinking is a core value.
- Work with engineers across teams on more complex features, for mentoring and knowledge-sharing, to support and care for the Wistia systems, and sometimes just for fun!
- You have 1-5 years' experience as a full-stack product engineer. You enjoy working up and down the stack.
- You are a collaborator. Whether through pair programming, a whiteboard session, or a casual lunch conversation, collaboration helps the best ideas and practices to proliferate.
- You have strong communication skills. Each of us has only part of the overall picture in our head at a given time. Explaining ideas at an understandable level of abstraction is critical to achieving a shared vision.
- You're empathetic and emotionally intelligent. Sometimes things don't go smoothly. A customer gets frustrated, or a coworker does something that bothers you. Understanding where others are coming from, and being in control of and deliberate about how you respond to them, empowers you to solve problems while also being supportive of and sensitive to those around you.
- You write clean and understandable code. We write code for each other and for our future selves. Code that is clear and tested sets us up for speed, reliability, and a more enjoyable development experience.
- You know your fundamentals. Fads and frameworks come and go. Were less worried that you know the Next Hot Thing than that you feel comfortable with the underlying data structures, algorithms, languages, and protocols that make web applications work.
- You are comfortable thinking in trade offs. Some decisions will always have a downside. Do we want our distributed database to be more consistent, or more available? Should we use a hosted product that will save us time now, but force us to move to a new system in a year? These are regular conversations!
- You value simplicity. Blaise Pascal once wrote, "I'm sorry I wrote you such a long letter; I didn't have time to write a short one." Making things simple and elegant is deceptively difficult, but its worth the effort because the result is easier to understand and work with.
We work hard to ensure Wistia is an inclusive and diverse place where everyone feels happy, fulfilled, respected, comfortable, and welcome. You can learn more about the type of company were building on our blog. Check out our Jobs page to get a feel for our culture and the benefits of working at Wistia.
We want you to grow, contribute, and have fun here! We know the biggest investment we can make is in our employees, so we provide:
- A competitive salary
- 401k with 3% company contribution, regardless of whether you make contributions
- Flexible hours
- Fully paid healthcare coverage for you and your family (including dental) and a healthcare FSA
- Up to 12 weeks paid family leave
- Flexible vacation and sick leave
- Transportation subsidies
- A convenient office just south of Central Square in Cambridge, MA. We're right on the Red Line, surrounded by great restaurants, parks, and even a dog park