Who We Are
ButcherBox is a fast-paced, rapidly-growing company headquartered in Brighton, MA. At ButcherBox, we believe in better. That’s why we deliver 100% grass-fed, grass-finished beef, free-range organic chicken, pork raised crate-free, and wild-caught seafood directly to our members’ doors. All of our products are humanely raised or wild-caught and never given antibiotics or added hormones ever.
We’re working to build a world that’s better for all, and we’re inviting everyone to come along. For us, better means treating our planet with respect. It means improving the lives of animals and the livelihoods of farmers. It means never cutting corners when it comes to doing business. Ultimately, it means better meals, enjoyed together. Our team is made up of people who collaborate and support one another. We’re always looking for outstanding people to join our mission!
About the Role
The Food Safety and Quality Manager will be instrumental in helping to coordinate, manage and document the Food Safety and Quality program here at ButcherBox. This person will schedule and conduct/supervise fulfillment center and product auditing, verification and internal auditing, and coordinate third party audits of vendor facilities and live animal production partners. They will also draft program documents, manage product specifications, product labels, and general FSQ documentation.
Our company is growing rapidly, is highly stable, and built on a forward-thinking business model. The department enjoys healthy collaboration with highly accountable peers and reputable supplier partners. This role will work in a highly autonomous environment and will experience ownership of key programs, with the potential to build a small support team as our team grows.
- Manage product specifications and use internal resources to continually improve process and information accessibility
- Schedule product audits at third party lab, evaluate audit data, communicate with Procurement, Suppliers, and present findings to management
- Track and trend Food Safety and Quality issues identified via audits, Operations reporting and/or Customer Support
- Determine and implement corrective actions and preventative measures to program deviations or unforeseen events
- Participate in Product Initiation Group (PIG) process
- Co-manage Genesis Nutrition Facts program and subsequent NFP for products
- Review product labels for accuracy and regulatory compliance
- Create and verify compliance with internal GMPs via Fulfillment center auditing
- Develop, conduct and oversee fulfillment center quality audits
- Train fulfillment center staff to assess product quality and safety during packing
- Work closely with third party auditors to schedule and attend audits of protein vendor sites
- Develop, implement and maintain FSQ programs consistent with an evolving scope of business
- Develop, implement and verify correct monitoring procedures and documentation for critical programs and processes
- Help develop training programs and materials for new and existing employees or service providers
- Ensure effective employee orientation (GMPs, HACCP and general policies and expectations)
- Participate in mock recalls
- Travel between fulfillment facilities, farms and production facilities required (pending COVID-19 circumstances)
- 5+ years in meat or poultry processing
- 3+ years in experience in Quality Assurance
- HACCP certification
- SQF certified practitioner or BRC internal auditor training
- Experience writing and interpreting red meat specifications required, pork, poultry (seafood specifications is a bonus)
- Strong computer skills - proficient in Microsoft suite
- Proficiency in data management
- Experience conducting and interpreting product quality audits
- Experience conducting and interpreting third party facility audits
- Deep working knowledge product lotting, identity preservation and traceability
- Bachelors Degree in Animal Science, Meat Science, Food Science or Culinology strongly preferred
- Masters Degree in Animal Science, Meat Science or Food Science preferred
- Working experience with red meat, pork poultry and seafood HACCP
What We Offer
ButcherBox strives to maintain a supportive and encouraging environment. We value autonomy and transparency, and allow our employees access to all levels of the organization. We're an equal opportunity employer, and we're proud of the steps we've taken and continue to take to promote diversity and inclusion in our workplace. We're open to remote work, and even encourage our in-office employees to work from home a couple days a week.
*Due to current circumstances regarding COVID-19, all of our employees are working 100% remotely for the foreseeable future
- Health: medical, dental, vision, and life insurance, an employer-funded HSA, and short & long-term disability benefits
- Financial: 401(k) with generous employer match and an annual discretionary performance bonus
- Time off: unlimited paid time off policy, an executive team that encourages a good work/life balance
- Personal growth: professional development opportunities, including free access to online learning programs
- Food: a free Custom Classic ButcherBox each month and weekly lunch reimbursement
- Others: subsidized commuter benefits and reimbursement for gym membership
We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure all individuals are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.