Now more than ever, restaurants are seeking creative financial solutions to assist them and their employees with their dynamic and unique financial needs. Through its rapidly-growing FinTech business line, Toast is able to help its constantly expanding base of restaurant customers adapt, grow, and thrive by designing, marketing, and providing operational support for innovative financial products and services that offer facilitated access to revenue, capital, Toast POS hardware and software financing, employee benefits, payment processing solutions, and more.
Toast is hiring a Corporate Counsel to assist with the day-to-day general corporate legal needs of its FinTech business line. As Corporate Counsel, you will advise Toast and its subsidiaries on legal, compliance, and financial regulatory matters, inform the design and development of new financial products, promote the company's growth through drafting and negotiating contracts with vendors and customers, and provide general support to Toasts Lead Counsel, FinTech, Legal and Compliance teams.
What you will do:
- Research, analyze, and provide practical advice to FinTech business units on complex legal and compliance matters related to new and existing products and services, payment processing, contract terms, and regulatory interpretation
- Assist with the design of innovative financial products, including commercial and consumer credit, payment, and card products
- Review multi-channel advertising materials for compliance with federal and state laws and best practices
- Draft, review, update, and (if applicable) negotiate foundational documents for products and services (e.g., customer agreements, terms of service, regulatory disclosures, etc.), as well as contracts with vendors, financial institutions, and third-party service providers of financial products
- Monitor evolving laws that may impact the FinTech business line and its products and services, and assist with operationalizing and implementing compliant solutions
- Independently and proactively execute critical tasks necessary to mitigate risk and maintain compliant products and services
- Work closely with other members of Toast's in-house Legal and Compliance team to leverage internal subject matter expertise on product, payments, labor and employment, intellectual property, privacy, and cybersecurity, and integrate input into FinTech solutions
Do you have the right ingredients?
- A J.D. from an ABA-accredited U.S. law school, and membership in good standing to at least one state bar
- At least five years of concentrated experience advising corporate clients on a variety of FinTech products, either in-house or at a law firm
- Strong knowledge of financial regulation, including card association and payment network rules, prepaid card rules, payday lending laws, retail installment sales, and other laws applicable to acquiring, treasury, payouts, and issuing, commercial and consumer credit, BSA/AML, and CFPB regulations
- Ability to analyze risks, evaluate legal issues, and provide concise written advice to a business (i.e., non-legal) audience, particularly with respect to emerging products and services
- Ability to develop creative and adaptive solutions to unique and complex product design inquiries
- Strong drafting skills (contracts, memoranda, etc.), with an emphasis on attention to detail
- Unwavered by a rapid-paced working environment and meeting deadlines
- Team-focused, positive attitude, and good sense of humor
- Ability to collaborate effectively with a wide range of people in a diverse and accepting environment