At ActBlue Technical Services, we build and maintain a powerful online fundraising platform for Democratic campaigns, progressive organizations, and nonprofits working to create a better future. We put power in the hands of small-dollar donors by making it easier for grassroots supporters to make their voices heard and by helping thousands of groups from presidential candidates to environmental organizations build people-powered movements.
Were a nonprofit organization, and our team has a big impact on the future of our country. Each and every one of us, from the software engineers to the political activists to the customer service pros, is fully committed to our mission. We're excited to grow this team and get ready to take on even bigger challenges as we look toward 2020 and beyond.
Our engineering and product organization is made up of 30+ people and growing. Were organized into interdisciplinary teams of 3-6 people with clear areas of complementary focus. To support our ongoing growth, we are expanding our engineering leadership. Were looking for an Engineering Manager/Director to support in guiding technical direction and ensure the integrity and smooth functioning of one to two of our teams.
Engineering teams are charged with operating autonomously while remaining aligned with the organizations objectives. In this role, you will support this charge by working with your teams engineers, Product Managers, and UX leads to determine strategic technical and product direction, foster transparency and engagement, and ensure successful cross-team communication and collaboration.
In addition to cultivating an inclusive environment that brings out the best in your teams holistically, you will be directly managing and mentoring the individuals on your teams. You will champion, coach, and challenge individual team members in concert with supporting the growth of your whole teams.
WHAT YOU'LL BE DOING:
- Providing software development expertise and guidance for up to 10 software engineers of diverse backgrounds and skills
- Supporting the professional development of your direct reports (constant feedback, goal-setting, regular check-ins, etc)
- Working with engineers, Product Managers, and UX leads to formulate roadmaps
- Ensuring the teams have the context and resources they need to achieve their goals
- Driving essential and timely communication between teams
- Collaborating with the rest of engineering leadership to continually cultivate a work environment where everyone on the team can thrive
WHAT YOU'LL BRING:
- A track record of success in inclusive management
- A history of determining product direction and strategy
- A strong faculty for software engineering and technical considerations
- Adept project-scoping, planning, and management
- An understanding of the importance of effective and timely communication
- Motivation to see your teams and individuals on those teams succeed!
We offer autonomy, responsibility, and amazing in-office and remote colleagues getting excited about politics and tech all day, plus generous benefits. This position will be based in our Somerville, MA HQ, and we can help cover relocation costs.
We use best in class tools (rails, node, postgresql, react, sidekiq/redis, chef) and methods (github, extensive automated testing, continuous integration, deployment, cloud hosting) to deliver the best technology in politics.
Handling high volume is our priority. To us that means being ready for:
- 75K contributions in 5 minutes
- 7.5 million page loads in 5 minutes
- 30K organizations using our platform
OUR ENGINEERING VALUES:
- We believe that ideas are more important than technologies.
- We understand that the tools we build have real-world consequences for millions of people and take that responsibility seriously.
- We know that code isnt just a set of instructions for machines, but communication with other humans; style, elegance, and respect are important.
- We believe that an ability to balance paying off technical debt and rapidly completing a project contributes to the health of the codebase, engineering team, and organization.
- We believe that being correct isnt enough; respect for your colleagues and users is fundamental.
Were a small (but growing!) team passionate about changing our country. Were looking for new team members who match our passion and are ready to dive in! If you're interested, send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org!
We offer a competitive salary and a generous compensation package, which includes commuter benefits, fully paid health, dental, and vision insurance, an employer-sponsored 401k contribution plan, a generous professional development stipend, paid parental leave for new parents, and a flexible time off policy.
Women, people of color, LGBTQ individuals, and members of other minority or marginalized groups are strongly encouraged to apply. ActBlue is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against candidates on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, or veteran status.
ActBlue cannot at this time sponsor work visas.