We are the Presto company. Starburst is on a mission to modernize data access & analytics. Our company was founded in an unusual way - with customers and revenue from the beginning. Our growth is already ahead of some of the most successful software start-ups, and we don’t plan on slowing down!
Our opportunity is huge: every large company in the world suffers from a data silo problem. Traditional data warehouse products approach the problem with old solutions that breed inefficiency and ultimately can’t help business analysts run fast analytics on all their data.
Starburst provides a modern solution that addresses these data silo & speed of access problems. Starburst helps enterprises harness the value of open source Presto, the fastest distributed query engine available today, by adding the tools and 24x7 support that meet the needs for big data access at scale. Ultimately, Starburst helps organizations run analytics anywhere to make better business decisions.
Starburst is looking for an experienced Engineering Manager to build out the Starburst Galaxy Product on our growing global team. This product allows users and administrators to build and maintain Starburst Presto environments quickly and easily, and is a key offering for our customers.
As Engineering Manager, you will partner with Engineering and Product Leadership to deliver and execute on roadmap deliverables for Starburst Galaxy. You will support and mentor the dynamic, talented, global, fun team, while emphasizing quality at every stage of the product.
- Collaborate with technical leads and product managers to build a game-changing Presto-as-a-Service product
- Manage and motivate one or more teams of software engineers focused on various aspects of the Starburst Galaxy product
- Drive technical direction and provide leadership and transparency in an agile environment
- Partner with other engineering leaders to find the best solution to a wide array of problems, define best practices, and build cutting-edge software
- Work closely with leaders from other departments including Product, Marketing, UX/design, and Analytics to iterate on design and architecture
- Coach and mentor engineers of all levels, from junior engineers to technical leads
- Recruit, interview, hire and onboard new engineers
- At least 3 years of engineering management experience with a total of 8 years or more experience
- Enthusiasm for growing strong and diverse teams, and making good teams great on both the team and individual contributor levels
- A passion for software engineering and interest in all phases of the agile software development lifecycle
- Experience developing SaaS/PaaS products in a production environment
- Demonstrated experience with good engineering practices and software craftsmanship
- Appreciation for maintainable, working, high quality software
- Demonstrable experience in shipping features and hitting deadlines consistently
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- CI/CD architectures and automated deployment pipelines
- Similar technology stack, e.g. Java and React
- Scaling web applications
- Management of partial- or fully-remote teams
Location: Boston and Poland
Headquartered in Boston MA with an office in Warsaw, Poland and with engineers across Europe and the Americas, we are committed to hiring where the talent is. The preferred location for this role is in the US Eastern time zone OR in Warsaw, Poland.
Starburst Data, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.