Engineering Manager: Kubernetes
Have you ever wondered what happens inside the cloud?
Based in New York, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers, teams, and businesses around the world. We believe that todays entrepreneurs are changing the world through software. Our mission is to empower these entrepreneurs by bringing modern app development within reach for any developer, anywhere in the world.
We want people who are passionate about building features that you and your peers will love.
DigitalOceans Kubernetes team is responsible for building the software that power clusters for over a million users around the globe. You will define the next generation of cloud services, making developers' lives (both inside DO and in the 'wild') easier by building new services that improve our efficiency and also provide important new features for our customers. If your passion is building products customers rely on every day, this is the right job for you.
We are seeking a highly motivated and experienced technical engineering manager to support our engineers and engineering culture. This person will be responsible for aiding career development, motivating and monitoring engineers, working with engineering leads to evaluate an engineers performance, providing coaching, and counseling as needed.
We are looking for someone with a great understanding of teams and process, who will be accountable for the engineering teams performance and quality. This person will also have an understanding of virtualization, linux, large scale distributed systems and exposure developing a compute product. You will also manage the recruitment, selection, and retention of the team as we continue to grow and scale. This role reports into the Director of our Cloud Compute pillar and can be based remotely in North America or from our offices in NYC and Cambridge, MA.
What Youll Be Working On
- Recruiting, managing, and maintaining a world-class engineering team that builds our Kubernetes offering.
- Collaborating with technical leads and contributing to the overall architecture, design, and development of core projects related to compute
- Managing software project schedules using various life cycle approaches (we are an Agile-lite shop) and related methodologies using a variety of tools
- Building and developing processes to continuously improve engineering performance and quality
- Working with the product team to ensure successful product and feature rollouts including requirement analysis, capture, and documentation
- Supporting the professional goals and development opportunities for the entire team.
- Boosting communication and facilitating ongoing continuous feedback loops between engineers and the engineering leads
- Providing coaching and counseling via mentoring, one-on-one meetings, etc
- Monitoring and reviewing each engineer's progress related to development goals and KPIs
- Organizing regular performance appraisals
- Planning and executing relevant training for the engineering team
What Well Expect From You
- 3+ years of direct experience with managing, coaching, and mentoring software engineers
- Domain expertise in shipping virtualization products at scale with a strong customer focus
- Experience working on a compute product a plus
- Proven track record of managing and delivering projects throughout the entire SDLC, delivering products to market on schedule and ensuring feedback loops from customers work their way into development
- Experience introducing and growing a quick release development environment with short cycles
- Good cross-disciplinary collaboration experience between engineering, technical operations, and product groups
- Solid knowledge of end-to-end quality best practices
- Experience with staffing, interviewing, retaining and building high performing teams
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Exceptional attention to detail and follow-up
Why Youll Like Working For DigitalOcean
- We have amazing people. We can promise you will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We work hard but we always have fun doing it. We care deeply about each other and take our no jerks rule very seriously.
- We value development. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. That means we maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development. Youll need to be great to get hired here and we promise youll get even better.
- We care about you. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, and a monthly commute allowance to make your trips to and from work easier.
- We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match. We also provide all employees with Kindles and reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We want you to love where you work. We have great office spaces located in the heart of SoHo NYC and Cambridge, and offer daily catered lunches to keep your hunger at bay. Were also very remote-friendlywe use Slack to communicate across the companyand all remote employees have the opportunity to take an all-expense-paid trip to our office to get quality in-person time with the team at least once a year. We also allow employees to customize their workstations to meet their needswhether remote or in office.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Want an inside look into life at DO? Clickhere to hear from our employees!