Wayfair continues to build and scale out its custom e-commerce delivery network. A critical component of this strategy is transportation operations. The transportation engineering team builds functionality throughout the Wayfair Delivery Network that enables product to flow seamlessly from suppliers to customers.
The group builds applications and services to compete with customer expectations cultivated by other retailers that include shipping as fast as next day and frictionless merchandise returns. This problem space is particularly complex given the uniquely large packages that comprise a large percentage of Wayfair orders.
The key motivators of the transportation are to drive down costs, increase delivery speed, and maintain a reliable customer delivery experience.
The transportation team has worked diligently over the past year to lay the initial foundation for the Wayfair Delivery Network. Over the past few months, initiatives have focused on driving down costs while maintaining delivery reliability. These include:
- Allow customers to schedule deliveries [to improve delivery reliability]
- Building a better returns process to improve customer experience and drive down costs
- Better manage the movement of freight in the network by being cognizant of promised delivery date/reservations, days to deliver, etc [drives down costs and improves delivery reliability]
- Show users a volumetric time series to increase utilization on our truckloads [lowers transportation costs]
- Uber-like tracking experience on the day of delivery for our WDN Customers ( higher engagement and NPS, leading to more repeat customers )
- Transportation Hackathon blog post: https://tech.wayfair.com/2018/11/first-mile-in-transportation-engineering-with-driveway-app/
What You'll Do
Manage and build a team of high performing engineers that will shape the future of delivering very large items from suppliers to customers.
- Motivate and inspire teams to drive business value as well as associate engagement and job satisfaction
- Manage effectively in all directions and support the teams
- Suggest novel approaches to problems and drive team to continually think outside of the box
- Own complete initiatives that directly impact the company and results
- Contributes to enterprise-wide tools to drive destructive testing, automation, andengineering empowerment
- Scope and define work based on problems that can be unclear or ambiguous
- Guide team through all phases of software planning and delivery
- Deliver clear and concise updates to team and broader group
- Communicate cross-functionally to peers, stakeholders, and leadership
What You'll Need
- Experience coaching and driving a team of software engineers in delivery of business impacting applications
- Proficient in cross-functional consensus building and influencing without authority
- Proficient in designing systems at scale
- Proficient in effective troubleshooting and issue resolution techniques
- Proficient in a modern programming language (preferably PHP)
- Proficient in a modern frontend framework (preferably React)
- Proficient in writing SQL queries against a relational database
Wayfair is one of the worlds largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, were reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If youre looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then youll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking. No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. Were a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair and world for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. Thats why were proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.